This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Icons missing in my desktop

Hennie

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:19:34 pm

After starting up in Zorin my preferred icons are not shown automatically on my desktop. I checked the Tweak Tool and in my view there is nothing wrong there:
Choose Desktop
Choose Icons on Desktop and set the switch on YES
When you play with the switch you can see the icons appear and disappear.
Why don't the icons show up after starting the computer?

I tried to add a screenprint (.PNG file) but that did not work.

Wolfman

Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:18:24 pm

Hi Hennie,

firstly only use JPG pics as PNG doesn't work well with this forum!. :D

Secondly, run this terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command and restart should you have any updates and the see if the problem is still there:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:45:58 pm

Just for clarity, screenshots of active windows can be uploaded as .png if they are below 100 Kb in size - there have been small ones (sub-50Kb) files when saved as .jpg actually go up in size so you can upload small .png files - the issue could well be your browser - I can upload to here using Firefox in Windows but NOT in Zorin - you will also find Midori does not work either, in much the same way as Firefox - that is why I predominantly use Opera 12.16 which is what the Zorin Browser Chooser Manager installs! :D

Hennie

Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:26:39 pm

After doing the command in the terminal...no result.

Wolfman

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:05:37 am

Hi Hennie,

what desktop are you using?. :D

Hennie

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:13:00 pm

The desktop was built in a local shop with an ASUS motherboard 1 year ago. Processor: Intel Core i5-3330 CPU.
I work in dual mode and in Windows I never have this problem. It pops up on a regular basis. The last 2 days I have not seen the problem but it pops up every now and then. I can solve it by clicking YES in the Tweak tool but that is not the real sulution.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:58:56 pm

I could be wrong but I think Wolfman wants to know if you are using the Windows 7 Desktop appearance in Zorin or Gnome Classic etc. :D

Wolfman

Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:45:02 pm

Yes that is what I meant. :D

Hennie

Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:58:57 pm

I've got the W7 appearance. There are choices between W7, Windows XP and Gnome2. I like the W7 choice best.

Hennie

Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:06:25 pm

I now see that in the Tweak tool "Icons on desktop" has been set on "No" while the icons are perfectly in place. I don't understand this.

Wolfman

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:32:34 pm

Hi Hennie,

try running the following commands:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

And:

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f

And (not really needed but try it anyway):

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Let us know if this helps as it seems you are having a system problem and the commands will 1: fix any broken packages and 2: force any updates that didn't download and force any dependency problems!. :D

Hennie

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:06:44 pm

Thank you Wolfman for the advice. I have done all commands and I hope that it stabilizes things. The last few days I had no problem. As soon as it happens again I'll let you know.

Wolfman

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:45:58 pm

Hi Hennie,

can we mark this as solved?. :D

Hennie

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:47:06 pm

That's OK.