This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(CLOSED) backups for Thunderbird mail and Firefox

Hennie

Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:39:41 pm

In Zorin 9.1 I use Déja Dub to backup all documents. I would like to backup my Thunderbird-mails and Firefox data using Déja Dub too. Is that possible and how can I do that? I don't see the right locations!

Wolfman

Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:24:34 pm

Hi,

I am not sure as I don't use such apps (I'm refering to Déjà Dup), you can start with this website which might have an answer for you:

http://www.howtogeek.com/108869/how-to- ... th-dj-dup/

http://www.lynda.com/Ubuntu-tutorials/B ... 580-4.html

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:50:19 pm

Your profiles should be stored in .thunderbird and .firefox (or possibly .mozilla-firefox - these are hidden files in your '/home' folder - to see them press 'Ctrl+ H' - to test if this works, create yourself a second user account with admin rights - then setup your settings in Thunderbird but be sure you are off-line while you do this or all of your messages will come through again - then copy your hidden folders into the second user's '/home' folder then relaunch Thunderbird. Also check what is present in:

/usr/share/applications/Thunderbird and Mozilla Firefox. :D

Hennie

Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:20:48 pm

I am afraid that your instructions don't quite match with my knowledge level.
- What do you mean with "profiles" and how to store them in thunderbird and firefox?
- Where (in which folder) should I press Ctrl H?
- What will be the effect of relaunching Thunderbird? That should not be a surprice because I have not changed the program have I?
- How to get into /usr/share/applications/Thunderbird and Mozilla Firefox?

If the files can only be accessed by using the password of the administrator how can the backups be created?

Regards,
Hennie

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:14:31 pm

Click on your 'Home' folder on the desktop (if showing - I seem to remember you had some issues with that?) - inside there is where the hidden folders are - all hidden folders commence with a period (full stop) with their names after them - to view them, press Ctrl+ H - if you look in the left pane of the Nautilus window - you should see 'Computer' click on that to see 'usr' folder - then open that and select 'share' then open that and select 'applications'. I thought you were wanting to back up not backup and reinstall - or what exactly is your intention? :D

Hennie

Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:11:38 pm

How do I get the Nautilus window?

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:06:09 am

Menu | Places

Wolfman

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:32:45 pm

Hi,

open your home folder and press Ctrl + h, then you will see all the hidden files, you will notice my ".mozilla" folder is marked, you can simply copy and paste that folder (or any other) to a safe location. See the attached pic:

Home_010.jpg

Hennie

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:12:36 pm

@Swarfendor437:
My only objective is to be able to restore all data after a harddisk-crash.

I hoped to be able to backup both Firefox-data and Thunderbird data by running Deja Dub. However, it appears that it does not allow me to have both programs backed up. I need to do it manually by copy-paste to my external hard disk as you advised me. Unless of course you see an alternative way to do it automatically.

Wolfman

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:32:50 pm

Hi Hennie,

do what was suggested earlier by simply copying and pasting the folders you need to a secure (separate) drive/partition.

If you ever re-install Zorin, you can follow this guide and still have all your data intact as long as you don't format your home partition!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:54:56 pm

If you want to backup your entire system:

redobackup - http://redobackup.org :D

Hennie

Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:01:06 am

Thanks a lot for your assistence. Every now and then I'll use the copy/paste method for Thunderbird and Firefox. Is far as I am concerned this topic can be closed.