This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Help! Update Delete/blocks Wallpaper and Terminal Commands

vasudev

Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:10:24 am

Hello this is my first post here. Thank you Forum's creator and contributors whole heartedly...

Last update rendered my screen completely black and cannot be changed by normal methods. Runned a couple of terminal lines... went to preferences.... but nothing.
The other issue is that after finding in Synaptic a Blocked Cortina file that seems to deal with Wallpapers, I discovered that I also cannot run terminal instalations to unpack the new Cortina file. Zorin still doesn't answers my email and had to resort to this option as they suggest in their website.
Here is a list of the last update. When I attempted to revert one of the packages, it also wanted to delete my Cairo Dock, which is literally, all I have on my desktop. Didn't do it! Cortina says it has dependencies to many lib files.

linux-image-generic
linux-libc-dev
openssl
libssl-doc
libssl-dev
flashplugin-installer
libssl 1.0.0
libssl (exactly same again)
linux-headers-generic
libc6-dev
libc6-dbg
unzip
firefox-locale-zh-hans
libc6

When I tried to install from Terminal and also to unpack from terminal a downloaded Cortina File, this Is what I've got:
sudo apt-get install cortina
E: Couldn't block /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resourse not available temporaly)
E: Couldn't block directory of administration (/var/lib/dpkg/), ¿maybe there's another program using it?

I also tried to unpack the New Cortina file using this command as said in the installation helper:
"sudo apt-get install devscripts"... having the same results as listed above...

Never had this issues before guys!

One question is: having the last version of Zorin downloaded from the website, HOW IS IT posible that updates screw things up like this??? The worst thing is that those folks of Zorin, say in there website, that they only help those who contribute to their project with donations.... from now on, it seems that we cannot safely download anything else from people that do not want to help you freely, when their free OS crashes due to awesome mistakes on their side.

Sorry if this post was to long, but wanted to provide a clear scenario of things going on here. Thank you in advance for merely reading this request. The list of updates is for someone to point out which one deals with Terminal prompt.
Cheers to all:
Vasudev

Wolfman

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:13:25 am

Hi,

firstly, run DPKG (network cable required!) per the update guide and then try installing your package again:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

You could do the same as DPKG by running this terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command and see if that helps you at all.

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Secondly, I removed your Email address as you shouldn't post your private Email address on any forum as you never know who is looking at it!.

And last but not least, the devs reply directly to anyone that made a donation for the Ultimate versions of Zorin, this forum is free of charge and all the members help each other free of charge!. :D

Let us know if the commands help you at all. :D

vasudev

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:58:38 pm

Well thanks so much.... that what I call a fast reply! At present I do not have my laptop here nor a network wire, but for certain I will consider your suggestion. Since I had problems running commands on terminal, (and that made me somewhat fed up), I asked about what program of the list to remove to go back to previous configuration of Gnome. That would be the simplest solution.

I spected to understand which files messed things up, and avoid them in the future.

Now I restarted from scratch my system for the following reason: I saw terminal and appearances affected by last update, I read updates can do a lot worse than that... So who knows how many other things I got changed? Couldn't run your code, but Im not saying did not work.

I decided to save time, and for the next time I will use the option you kindly gave, once the net wire its ready :)
The reinstalation of the package was almost imposible, when I downloaded it after so much, presented errors.
I appreciate your fast reply trully, and will try it out next time. Actually having read so much complains about lack of support for zorin I never had faith in getting a response this quick. Thank you Wolf!

See you next time... thank you again!
Vasudev

Wolfman

Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:29:53 am

Hi Vasudev,

let us know how you get on!. :D