This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

usb keyboard not wokring cannot boot

DrugCrazedRebel

Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:30:26 pm

hello!

cleaned my keyboard yesterday!
Only when i try to highlight a selection in GRUB it does not seem to be recognized or even on. (as numlock light is on first then goes of)

Booting into BIOS is no problem.
But settings there is all fine.

After reinstalling OS, stupid stupid, made same mistake xD
Now i tried Boot repair disk.

Reinstalled grub,
that also fixed it :)

Wolfman

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:13:29 pm

Hi,

you can try simply swapping the USB receiver into a different USB port and see if that helps!. :D

Some USB keyboards won't load in Ubuntu based systems at the very beginning because the drivers won't load that early in the boot process for some reason, one of my friends has the same problem with Lubuntu, he now uses a wired keyboard!. :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:04:24 pm

HI Wolfman, Its a USB keyboard not a wireless one! ;)

USB has a memory issue - did you disconnect the keyboard when you cleaned it? Did you put the usb connection back in the saem USB port after cleaning? I would ensure legacy is enabled in the BIOS - I would NOT enable EFI as it could render Zorin unbootable.

Wolfman

Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:05:50 pm

Hi Swarf,

I was working on the assumption that it was a wireless USB KB, now I have read it again, looks like you are right, he should still change the USB port anyway!. :D

DrugCrazedRebel

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:50:22 pm

Kindness is something that the blind can see and the deaf can hear. is it said by Dalai Lama?
I like :"My religion is simple, my religion is kindness" ^^
"The world, like a dream, seems real until the awakening."

That on the side. uhmm. Im gonna try to to find the port it was in before.
Just tried it on this laptop also with zorin, it works in grub LOL xD
to bad is so sssslllloooowww.

ty very much for ur time and effort!
Ill post my outcome later ^^

madvinegar

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:35:31 am

You must also enable usb legacy.

Wolfman

Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:35:53 pm

Hi,

it might also be a case of missing dependencies if it is running slooooooooow loke you mentioned, try this terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command and then restart your PC and see if things are better, do that naturally after what both Swarf and MV have suggested with the USB legacy settings in BIOS:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

"Kindness is something that the blind can see and the deaf can hear " is from Mark Twain!. :D

DrugCrazedRebel

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:02:27 pm

aww i must have drifted when reading quotes xD

DrugCrazedRebel

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:03:52 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

it might also be a case of missing dependencies if it is running slooooooooow loke you mentioned, try this terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command and then restart your PC and see if things are better, do that naturally after what both Swarf and MV have suggested with the USB legacy settings in BIOS:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

"Kindness is something that the blind can see and the deaf can hear " is from Mark Twain!. :D

My laptop was slow i meant xD. even Minecraft was barely running xD

Wolfman

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:31:32 pm

Hi,

try Zorin OS 9 Lite:

http://zorin-os.com/free.html