This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Will a cpu change affect my current install?

dgacampbell

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:15:54 pm

Hi all,

A noob question i'm sure lol.

I have upgraded my ageing laptop this weekend from Zorin 9 lite with 1Gig of ram (which was fine, in fact it was great) To Zorin 9 ultimate 32, with 2 gig of ram.

I love it, it's zooming relatively speaking of course. ;)

It has a single core 1.86ghz processor at present, I had ordered a core 2 duo 1.73ghz off ebay for the grand price of £4 which is apparently the best my mobo can take. Unfortunately it did not arrive with the ram and i wanted to play with my new ultimate os. :lol:

So the question is as per title, can i just swap the processor without reinstalling zorin? Will it recognise that there will be an extra core and make use of it without any work in terminal? :oops:

Many thanks in advance.

Dan.

Wolfman

Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:18:56 am

Hi,

firstly, run DPKG (network cable required!) per the update guide and do this as soon as you have replaced your CPU and the first time you boot the PC with the new CPU installed:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

You could do the same as DPKG by running this terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command and see if that helps you at all but I would run DPKG per the instructions in recovery mode first.

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Let us know if this helps. :D

dgacampbell

Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:48:32 pm

Thanks for quick reply Wolfman.

Will probably be next weekend before i have time to change it, but i surely will let you know how it goes!

Thanks.

Dan. :D

Wolfman

Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:45:01 pm

Hi Dan,

if you ever have to re-install Zorin, follow the "Something Else Method" guide and you will keep all your data and settings intact (it works on any Ubuntu based system):

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

You should be okay without having to re-install though as long as you follow the update command I posted earlier!. It all hangs on updating the kernel and/or replacing any missing dependencies!. :D

dgacampbell

Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:03:50 pm

Thank you Wolfman, i upgraded the processor last night. following your instructions, everything is working beautifully!

Much appreciated. :D

A happy Zorin Ultimate user! :)

Wolfman

Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:15:57 pm

Nice one Dan, have marked as solved!. :D