This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED]No FIOSNetwork After Zorin 9 Install Wireless DeskPC

FenderGuy53

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:44:51 pm

A friend has a home Verizon FIOS network, connected thusly: Verizon wired/wireless Router > wireless ASUS Windows 7 Desktop PC > wireless HP Windows 8.1 Laptop > wireless HP All-in-One Printer. Note that there are NO hardware devices connected via ethernet cable; all devices have a 'wireless only' connection to the Router, and both Computers have viable internet connections and access to the HP Alli-in-One Printer.

Yesterday, I installed Zorin 9 (stand-alone OS) on their wireless ASUS Desktop PC. The installation was a success and Zorin performs flawlessly; however, I can no longer access the internet from the ASUS Desktop PC! When I click the Network icon, no networks are identified!

My friend's daughter is able to access the internet and the HP All-in-One from her laptop, so it seems that the ASUS Desktop PC is the sole issue.

My knowledge of Zorin, and of networks, in general, is very limited; but I need to reinstate internet access for these folks. How can I restore the wireless internet connection to the ASUS Desktop PC?

I'm desperate, so thanks for any help guys!

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:03:04 am

Hi, Please be patient and wait for madvinegar - please be aware that time will increase if you need to relay instructions to your friend as madvinegar needs the results of certain terminal commands to establish what is needed to resolve the issue! ;)

madvinegar

Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:57:45 am

Can you please open up terminal (ctrl+alt+T) and post back here the results of the following commands:

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all
lsmod

I need to determine some info about your network card and the drivers you need.

FenderGuy53

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:10:54 pm

madvinegar wrote:Can you please open up terminal (ctrl+alt+T) and post back here the results of the following commands:

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all
lsmod

I need to determine some info about your network card and the drivers you need.

Thanks for your assistance, madvinegar. I need to go to my friend's house to do this, so I'll get back with the results as soon as I can.

Question: In the first terminal command, "lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net", is that a pipe symbol between the "-nnk" and the "grep"?

Also, FYI, the ASUS Desktop is using a USB wireless adapter, Netgear N300 WiFi, Model WNA 3100-100 ENS, if that helps.

Thanks, again.

madvinegar

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:34:32 pm

If it is a USB dongle, don't bother posting the results of the 1st command. I don't need it.

Just for the record, the | symbol can be found (at least in my keyboard) when you press shift+the button that is right above the <enter> key.

FenderGuy53

Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:39:55 pm

madvinegar wrote:If it is a USB dongle, don't bother posting the results of the 1st command. I don't need it.

Just for the record, the | symbol can be found (at least in my keyboard) when you press shift+the button that is right above the <enter> key.

Mission aborted. My friend has decided (much to my chagrin) to install MS Windows 8.1! :roll:

Thanks for your willingness to help...