This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(REOPENED) Can't change Login Screen

7vincent7black7

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:53:39 pm

I'm having trouble finding any way to change my login screen in Zorin 9 Ultimate.

I've tried using " sudo cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance/properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow "
That ends up just saying " cp: cannot stat ‘/usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance/properties.desktop’: No such file or directory "

I tried installing Ubuntu-Tweaker, and when I launch it I get the following errors if I open it in terminal:

" Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"

** (ubuntu-tweak:17403): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css' does not exist

** (ubuntu-tweak:17403): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css' does not exist
compizconfig - Info: Backend : gsettings
compizconfig - Info: Integration : true
compizconfig - Info: Profile : Default
[utils.icon][WARNING] get_from_list for folder-home failed, try next (icon.py:56)
[utils.icon][WARNING] get_from_list for folder-home failed, try next (icon.py:56)
[ConfigSetting][ERROR] No option 'allow-guest' in section: 'SeatDefaults' (configsettings.py:54)
[ConfigSetting][ERROR] No section: 'com.canonical.unity-greeter' (configsettings.py:54)
[ConfigSetting][ERROR] No section: 'com.canonical.unity-greeter' (configsettings.py:54)
[LoginSettings][ERROR] Loading background failed, message is Failed to open file '/usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png': No such file or directory (loginsettings.py:125) "

I personally sought out and executed the command to install the repository that owuld be linked to this program to see if that would resolve these delinquent errors, but that didn't change anything. I do not get these errors if I use a desktop shortcut I created on the desktop, they just sorta happen in the backgroun then.

If I switch to the tweak tab and click on login screen button to change settings there, the [ERROR] errors related to com.canonical.unity-greeter occur thereafter. Those errors are related to that.

I also installed hte Unity Tweak Tool which works like it is supposed to, but doesn't have a setting for changing a login screen background. I have found no other alternatives that have worked.

Wolfman

Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:06:48 pm

Hi,

(The following info is for people who don't know about Ubuntu Tweak)

download and install, when you open the app > Ubuntu Tweak > Tweaks > Login Settings > Unlock > Click on button below "Set the same as the current desktop background", once you have installed Ubuntu Tweak, to run it you will have to open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and type:

Code:
ubuntu-tweak

Do not worry about the "overlay scrollbar message", just give Ubuntu Tweak time to start!.

Download here:

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

Right click downloaded file and open with Gdebi, install gdebi with the following command should you not have it installed:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

Hope it helps. :D

7vincent7black7

Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:58:32 pm

First of all, in order to not sound ungrateful for your help, thank you. :)

Unfortunately Gdebi, when launched through the context menu of the .deb file downloaded from the official ubuntu-tweak website, openend and loaded correctly, but would fail as soon as I asked it to install the program because it would be unable to find the file. I was forced to revert to haveing it installed with the software channel.

I did not notice the unlock button and that has allowed me to attempt to make changes to the login screen, however, my login screen is still my desktop background, and not the image I set it to, even though the image I selected is displayed in ubuntu-tweak. :\

Wolfman

Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:23:26 pm

Hi,

I tried it myself and it doesn't work on either of my 2 rigs, one with and Nvidia Graphics card and the other with an ATI/AMD card!.

It may have something to do with Plymouth but I am not sure, this is one for the devs maybe?.

Sorry I cannot be of more help, as it isn't system critical, I personally am not worried about it. Maybe the devs have an answer and might be able to shed some light on the matter, or maybe another forum member who has solved the problem?.

I did find this but I must stress that it is for Unity!:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2212279

I will have a look at the Dconf Settings Tool and see if I can find an answer there!.

7vincent7black7

Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:04:29 pm

Well, I'm not that worried about this particular issue. As it happens, I'm new with Linux for the first time in a few years, and especially with Zorin. I had crunchbang linux on an old laptop a few years back and never really became all that experienced with it beyond basic conky configuration. So, it could very well be something that I am doing wrong possibly. I'm still getting those errors about certain files and documents not existing if I launch ubuntu-tweak through the terminal, so I could be missing something I was supposed to install.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:02:00 pm

Wonder if system requires updating? That said never had an issue with Zorin 9 - if I choose a different wallpaper for my destkop, at next login that is what appears if I select my user - I occasionally do get a flash of the standard desktop backtround before mine appears. :?

Wolfman

Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:53:47 pm

Hi,

I had a look at Dconf Tools and did find what I thought would help; but I'm afraid it didn't do anything:

Dconf Editor > Com > Zorin > Zorin-Greeter > background

I selected a path to one of my own pics but it didn't take?. As you can see from the pic, it is right at the top in the right hand box, although the path is shown correctly, it still shows the Zorin pic at the login screen!.

Swarf has suggested that it may be related to updates, both my system(s) are fully up-to-date so I don't think the problem lies there?. Sorry I cannot be of more help. :D

dconf Editor_014.jpg

7vincent7black7

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:30:00 pm

That's okay. Sorry that I have not responded sooner. My college semester started, and when I havent been doing schoolwork, I was playing videogames on my Windows distro. :)

Wolfman

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:21:34 pm

Hi,

I will mark this as closed if that's okay with you?. :D

Wolfman

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:42:12 am

Hi,

re-opening this thread as we have a possible answer for you:

See "Changing the Wallpaper" here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LightDM

Hope it helps. :D

Wolfman

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:38:23 am

Hi,

the steps are as follows:

1: open a terminal and enter the following command:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

2: navigate to Computer > etc > lightdm > lightdm.conf > greeter-session=your path to your pic here

3: Save and close > done!. :D

lightdm.conf (-etc-lightdm) - gedit_003.jpg

NB: it will only show the current desktop pic whatever that is, if you change the desktop pic, it will revert back to the Zorin Greeter!.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:22:00 am

Hi, Guess I have been lucky in not suffering this in either 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Ultimate 9 - the only issue I ever got was a 'glimpse' of the default before my wall appeared at login. Just something else that comes to mind - you did use a picture in your Pictures folder or somewhere on the system and NOT from an SD card/memory stick/external source not present at reboot? ;)