This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Terminal problem ?

Stephanie

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:15:10 pm

Hi when I paste a command in terminal I am asked for my password that is 5 numbers, I press the numbers on my keyboard but nothing happens ? , any help appreciated thank you :)

Wolfman

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:23:35 pm

Hi,

your password should not be less than 6 characters!. Are you sure it is only 5 in length?. (Its not a daft question normally it won't let you use less than 6 characters for a password when you install!).

See: Password Policy > Minimum Password Length

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide ... ement.html

When you put in your password in the terminal, it will show nothing at all, are you typing the correct PW if you did manage to install Zorin with a 5 character PW?.

Stephanie

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:42:04 pm

Oh .. yes my pass is 5 numbers I will try to change it

Wolfman

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:57:11 pm

Hi,

another thought, you are pressing "Enter" (Return) after typing the PW aren't you?. :D

Stephanie

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:04:38 pm

Yes i pasted sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool > enter then I get asked for password (just changed it to 7 letters but still cant type it in terminal (I have rebooted)

Anonymous

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:07:19 pm

Stephanie > It's even easier to install [ Tweak Tool ] via [ Software Center ] !!!! :D :D

You'll be looking for [ Tweak Tool ] ......not [ Gnome Tweak Tool ] !!!!

Stephanie

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:12:43 pm

Hiya Gizmuntu thank you .. but I do need to get this sorted because I cat use Terminal ATM .. I’m set to log in auto does that matter ?

Anonymous

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:17:23 pm

I gotcha after reading through the whole thread. :D :D

Stephanie

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:25:21 pm

Screen shot of my old 5 number pass > Now have 7 letter pass but still cant use Terminal

Wolfman

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:39:54 pm

Hi Stephanie,

it sounds like a system fault, run DPKG (a network cable is required!) per the update guide in recovery mode and see if that solves the problem:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

You can also open Synaptic and then it will ask for your PW before letting you continue, if it won't ake your PW, log out and at the login window, press the arrow key up or down and make sure that you log in using your normal user name and not the guest aaccount, and then try running the terminal or Synaptic agian!. I have a funny feeling that you are logging in as Guest and not normal user and that is why you can't do anything administrative!.

Stephanie

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:28:51 pm

Hiya Wolfman I am logged in as admin defo (just went to guest then back to admin) ran DPKG but still cant type my new 7 letter pass in Terminal, can I reload Zorin from the DVD I burnt (bit like startup repair in windows ?

Wolfman

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:36:38 pm

Hi Stephanie,

yes you can using the "Something Else" method you can keep any files/data you have on your drive if you follow the guide correctly:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

The reason I thought you might be logged in as "Guest" is simply because of the username in your pic which shows "Zorin" as the user, did you set up your account with that name?.

Wolfman

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:37:55 pm

Another question, did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4771

Stephanie

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:46:34 pm

Yes I set the name Zorin and burnt the ISO at low speed with IMGburn, I will try Something Else tomorrow as have to go to work soon :)

Anonymous

Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:11:07 am

Stephanie....This might be of interest to ya !!!!

Link : http://askubuntu.com/questions/375949/p ... work-fully

Stephanie

Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:30:21 am

Hi Gizmuntu I have saved the link thank you :) Now something odd I thought I would try a different command (sudo apt-get update) hit Enter and was asked for my pass typed it in (the blinking cursor did not move so I just pressed Enter and it worked ? Got my updates and installed them :D

Wolfman

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:50:48 pm

Hi,

good to hear, now you have it running, run this terminal update command (Ctrl + Alt + t) if you haven't already done so and please take time to read the update guide!:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Can we mark this as solved?. :D

Stephanie

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:40:42 pm

Yes please Wolfman, that last command worked fine :D

Big thank you to Wolfman running DPKG worked .. (Hugs)

Wolfman

Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:03:50 am

Hi Stephanie,

glad you are sorted, I have marked as solved!. :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:18:00 pm

Just for clarification, you never get to see asterisks or anything else when you enter your password to escalate to 'root' [Administrator] - it is a built-in security protocol when using Terminal. ;)

Stephanie

Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:25:31 pm

I see thank you Swarfendor437 8-)