This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Bizarre Keypad/Cursor Action typing Zorin 9 Lenovo G50-30

ThetaBeast

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:01:38 am

Hey all - Lenovo G50-30 laptop with Zorin 9 Core 64-bit, cursor keeps jumping like crazy and interfering with typing, keeps jumping back to letters already typed, highlights things, deletes, all manner of chaos. Seems like there's very limited functions available thru Preferences. Somehow I got this to display, not sure if it's relevant:

Current configuration for the input method:
* Active configuration: missing (normally missing)
* Automatic configuration: ibus (normally ibus or fcitx or uim)
* Number of valid choices: 2 (normally 1)
The configuration set by im-config is activated by re-starting X.
Explicit selection is not required to enable the automatic configuration if the active one is default/auto/cjkv/missing.
Available input methods: ibus xim
Unless you really need them all, please make sure to install only one input method tool.

Laptop is brand new, Windows 8 unusable so installed Zorin. It's been doing this all along. Am I looking at terminal fix? Thanks,

TB

Wolfman

Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:14:28 am

Hi TB,

System Settings > Personal > Language Support > Keyboard Input Method System > Change to "None" if set to "Ibus":

Language Support_017.jpg

You might want to fully update your system with this terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t) in case you have any missing dependencies:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

ThetaBeast

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:01:47 pm

Thanks Wolfman! If it's that then that's much easier than I anticipated. I'll do that update too but I hope there are no unintended consequences from doing that. Probably be Sunday before I can do it,

TB

Wolfman

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:48:47 pm

Hi TB,

let us know how you get on.

You aren't dragging your shirt cuffs/sleeves over the pad while typing are you?. (Not such a daft question as I have done it myself a few times in the past!.) :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:05:25 pm

Just to add, there have been issues with touchpads in Windows too - that is why a lot come with 'touchpad' lock - I have an HP Mini 110 (Atom processor, 1Gb Ram) and that jumps around at random when I use it on here in the reply box. - Do you have some sort of touchpad lock on the keyboard? Usually Fn+ one of the top row of keys - picture of a square with a cross in to lock the touchpad? Also look for 'touchpad' in synaptic package manager and see if that sorts things out? :D

ThetaBeast

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:10:19 pm

Thanks, Wolfman and Swarfendor437...no, tried being very careful dragging anything or being lazy with my typing. Looking at the manual, yes, looks like F6 enables/disables the touchpad...wow; I'll try that for sure, and also look for the package manager. Plenty to try, thanks for all of the help. My Dad is stuck in no-man's land, transitioning to a laptop, then the Win 8 thing jammed us both up, and now this. Plus, when I pipe the image to the TV, I can't seem to size it right. One step at at time,

TB

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:56:52 pm

Just be aware that some TV's don't support the display resolutions that are built into Notebooks/Computers - as evidenced by moi in a work situation where the screen displayed the message "Not in / Out of range"!! :D

Wolfman

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:30:42 pm

Hi,

have you installed any graphics card drivers?.

You can also use a mouse with your laptop which is what I do!. :D

ThetaBeast

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:41:58 pm

Yeah, so maybe I can't get the TV to display it right...wondered about that. No, no video drivers installed, at least intentionally. Yes, wireless mouse and keyboard. Kills me that I can't find a nice HP keyboard I bought for 1/2 off price years ago...got lost in the shuffle of moving like 3 times,

TB

ThetaBeast

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:42:39 pm

wireless keyboard and mouse coming soon, I meant

TB

Wolfman

Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:51:54 pm

Hi TB,

I assume this is your rig?:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/le ... tech_specs

The best drivers should already be installed as you have an Intel graphics card! (according to the specs I found!).

Try running the following terminal commands (Ctrl + Alt + t) and see if that helps:

RESTART YOUR PC AFTER RUNNING THE COMMANDS!.

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

then:

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f

Let us know if this helps!. :D

ThetaBeast

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:57:24 pm

Awesome, Wolfman. I actually have a better optioned G50-30, with N3530 Pentium class processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, etc, but I bet the graphics card is the same. Can't seem to lay my hands on all the specs right now. I'll try that terminal thing Sunday,

TB

ThetaBeast

Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:10:05 pm

Ok, found specs that appear to be mine, and yes, Intel graphics. Ha! Looks like this paperweight will support 16GB RAM (but only 2 slots) !! Hmm...

TB

Henriolavi

Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:47:15 am

Hi

Look also this related to Lenovo G50/30 laptop>

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8335

ThetaBeast

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:24:04 pm

Well shoot; I had to move yesterday so had very limited time to play with this...did the language setting thing, changed from ibus to none, and although it may have had fewer problems with the cursor jumping backwards, it keeps regularly minimizing the web browser window, making browsing pretty much impossible. I ran the updates. I also did those screen terminal commands but didn't have time to pipe the image to a TV screen. F6 does toggle the touchpad off so that you can type, but that obviously isn't the solution. This week I will buy my Dad a wireless keyboard and mouse so that he can at least use the laptop at home while I continue to run this thing down. He is skittish enough about learning how to use a laptop and this thing with the cursor isn't helping.

Henriolavi; thanks, yes, that ideapad/blacklist thing was something I had to do early on to get the wireless to stay connected. The beat goes on,

TB