This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(CLOSED-UNRESOLVED) Black fields in window

Messa

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:12:33 pm

Any theme i choose from Ubuntu tweak, some fields are black, this wasn't before...
black.png

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:16:50 pm

Hi Try installing 'gnome-tweak-tool' from a Terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

This should put 'Tweak-Tool' in your Menu | System Tools | Preferences menu - go to 'Appearance' section, try different settings to see what you like best from the drop-down options:

43.png

Messa

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:09:30 am

Didn't change anything even whole empty space under 'cursor' selection is fully transparent. (Wish i could make applet indicator 3 that transparent). I installed fresh Zorin but same. I had to fresh install coz everthing changed suddenly, every text was so tiny that looked like some dots. Don't know what happen...

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:42:13 pm

indicator 3 applet was written by a separate entity/project to 'AWN' Panel peeps. It has been a continual issue since Zorin 5 - my preferred solution in 9 is this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983&hilit=+How+to+customise

The only thing that gets missed off is network indicator - working on it! :D

Alternatively, install Cairo-Dock to get a desktop like this in respect of the panels:

download/file.php?id=3356&mode=view

Messa

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:30:45 pm

I tried that and when i put new indicator at panel it's empty and i can't do anything with it.

Wolfman

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:12:39 pm

Hi messa,

do you have an Nvidia graphics card per chance?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

If you are not sure, type the following command in a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the results here please:

Code:
lspci

Did you do a full system update:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Messa

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:35:25 pm

I updated system when i booted it for the first time after installation when i got notification. It was about 2 Gigs of update. Animation fix didn't work. Here's driver i use.
driver.png

Wolfman

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:03:21 pm

Hi,

you should be using the top driver which is proprietary tested and not the updates version!. :D

I cannot say as to whether or not this will solve your problem though!. :D

Also, for tweaking the themes, use gnome-tweak-tool and see if that helps, if it isn't installed, use the following terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

Slightly out of date but gives you an idea:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/gnome-tweak-t ... tings.html

Messa

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:16:53 pm

After driver install and reboot black fields are now black borders but icons suddenly became very big everywhere. Trash at desktop after about 2 - 3 mins get back to normal. There are still fully transparent fields at gnome tweak tool. I noticed that they are notmal when i put gtk+ Windows8 but then are some other fields black themed. And after some more minutes, black felds back again... Things with icons happend with text what was one of reasons i took fresh install again it just text was so tiny like dots and came back somewhere normal after some time. It's weird...
1.png

2.png

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:00:08 pm

Could we rewind a little please! ;)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

Messa

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:08:22 am

1. Well computer is build so i don't know anwser for this one. If theres any command i can paste to you just say it
I know motherboard is MSI 7369, AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ × 2...

2- 4Gigs RAM, but about this comp says 3.9

3. I got Windows 7 installed first and now Zorin 9

hard.png

5. Nvidia GeForce GT 610 / Zorin About with this driver says GeForce GT 610/PCIe/SSE2

6. TP-LINK WN722N

7. I saw it boots normally, internet works too, opend some windows, that's all...

8. Zorin 9, 64bit Ultimate if i'm right

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:45:46 am

i have the next card up from that and would not install any driver above 304.x or 304.x updates - but like I say it doesn't look right colourwise using proprietary drivers on my rig. I wonder if it is some theme you installed I think you mentioned? Can you remove it and see if things improve? :D

Messa

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:37:49 pm

I tried, it's same. I use window - windows8 theme and gtk+ zorinlight theme. When i put gtk+ windows 8 theme then there isn't any transparent fields and black fields are just borders i just find out, so i guess it's zorinlight theme problem. And what's up with icons? Should i install then 304? Updates or no updates?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:08:48 pm

Start with the base 304.x install and see how it fares. Also I think there is a separate package for nvidia settings:

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
from a Terminal.

Keep us posted! :D

Messa

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:43:16 pm

Well, nothing changed. Got one with no updates now. Problem is i guess in zorinlight theme, but i don't know what to do with icons, dconf doesn't help, settings in nautilus doesn't work... I can change icon size on desktop with right click on it and change icon size. But every icon is big everywhere, even in some menus... When i go to change icon to original it goes back to huge one, so is there anything that messed up that setting? Any file to change?
ubutwe.png

Wolfman

Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:55:14 pm

Hi,

how you did you install your system as I think it is possibly something to do with the way you installed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Did you follow the tips in the above link?.

You can try running the following terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t) and hope that it fixes the problem for you:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

RESTART AFTER RUNNING THE ABOVE COMMAND!.

To change the icons size globally, open Dconf Editor:

Change icon size on desktop: Dconf Editor > Org > Gnome > Nautilus > Icon-View > Default-Zoom-Level = Small

To change the icon size in your home folder (Nautilus), open nautilus, then click on the cogwheel that is in the top right corner > Preferences > Views > Icon View Defaults.
Files Preferences_009.jpg

Let us know how you get on. :D

Messa

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:33:00 pm

No update, after restart still same. I installed with unetbootin coz my cd-rom is dead. Now pics and other types of files that are not infected with this weird bug are smaller, like i did with above instructions, but folders, some menu icons, and music files are still huge. Here's ss
folder.png

Wolfman

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:36:41 pm

Hi,

type this command in a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the results here please, we need to determine whether your graphics card is a TI model or not which will tell us which Nvidia drivers you need!:

Code:
lspci

I think it is version 331 but I am not sure.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Messa

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:08:07 pm

Everything was normal just after some time of using OR maybe some installed package or something messed that up.

lspci
00:00.0 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP65 Memory Controller (rev a3)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP65 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
00:01.1 SMBus: NVIDIA Corporation MCP65 SMBus (rev a1)
00:01.2 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP65 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:02.0 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP65 USB 1.1 OHCI Controller (rev a3)
00:02.1 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP65 USB 2.0 EHCI Controller (rev a3)
00:07.0 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation MCP65 High Definition Audio (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP65 PCI bridge (rev a1)
00:09.0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP65 IDE (rev a1)
00:0a.0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP65 SATA Controller (rev a3)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP65 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP65 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
00:0d.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP65 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
00:0e.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP65 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 01)
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [GeForce GT 610] (rev a1)
04:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)

Wolfman

Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:45:06 pm

Hi Messa,

first; you should install the Nvidia driver package, you can use the 331 package, paste the following command in a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-331

Restart your PC then see if things have improved, if they haven't, run the following command and restart again:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Restart again if anything gets updated!.

Messa

Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:28:15 pm

I did everything, there was some update too. Rebooted both times, nothing changed. i Copy paste just one error during upgrade i notice. Don't know does it matter.

ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-3.13.0-45-generic is not supported
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.13.0-45-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-331/331.113/build/make.log for more information.

Wolfman

Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:58:29 pm

Hi messa,

I have just noticed your partition layout, you should ideally have 3 partitions for Linux!:

messa partitions.png

See the partition guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

You should also change your software download location and update again and see if things improve, that error message you posted is not good as your Nvidia drivers aren't running correctly on that kernel!, see the update guide for info on how to do that:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Let us know if this helps!. :D

Messa

Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:11:30 pm

I quit, nothing helps. It's just weird. Thank You guys for Your help and time. Don't know what to do i think i have to install something else. Don't going back to lagging Windows... Thank You for Your help! :)

Wolfman

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:33:23 am

Hi Messa,

sorry you are having problems, if you do choose to use a different version of Linux, please take the time to read through the partition guide as it is important to have 3 partitions for Linux, swap, root and home!.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Good luck and remember what Churchill said: "Never ever give up". :D

I think that the only way around this problem is a complete fresh install using 3 partitions!. :D

I will mark this thread as closed!. We can reopen it again any time you wish!. :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:13:26 am

Hi you did mention something about a Windows 8 Theme? I suspect this is at fault rather than Zorin! ;)