This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) How to install Samsung printer ULD.tar.gz driver

JL68

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:14:04 am

I just switched to Linux for 2 months. I tried to install the software of Samsung printer SCX 3405FW on my computer : Pentium 4 - 2.66GZ. 1.5GB Ram. Zorin 9 lite OS. I could not find the driver for this printer anywhere in your Linux data base. Eventually I download from the Samsung website the software : Print and Scan Driver for Linux : ULD V.1.00.27.04.tar.gz. I followed the instruction from the Samsung website to install it but the fact that it was not exactly what the instruction said. It stuck in the middle of the installation. I searched the Zorin 9 Lite but could not find any install manager to install this tar.gz. file. Any help please.

Thanks
Jack

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:47:30 pm

OK, try this:

1. Install 'alien' via a terminal window (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) or look for it in the menu (Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install alien
- you will be asked for your password you use at login to elevate you to 'root' (=Administrator) - note you will not see any indicators like you do at login so be careful - if you make a mistake you get two more attempts before having to 'sudo' again! ;)

2. Next while still in the Terminal enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

3. Whilst in the terminal, navigate to where you downloaded the Samsung driver to, so if 'Desktop', in the terminal enter:

Code:
cd Desktop

then

Code:
sudo alien [name of the tar.gz package EXACTLY as it is named]

this will create a .deb package with a red circle and white cross on it - right-click and select - open with ... gdebi (not Software Centre) - it will report back if you need any dependencies that are not present.

Next go to add a printer and see if the driver now shows up!

Keep us posted! :D

Wolfman

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:06:36 pm

Hi,

did you try simply adding the printer using the Printer Tool (Add Printer) in the System Settings menu?.

Here is a quick and nasty guide to installing Samsung printers:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ngprinters

JL68

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:21:24 am

Thanks Swarfendor and Wolfman for the help.
Before I posted this question, I have tried to used the Printer Tool (Add Printer). I connected the printer with the USB cable and power on it and unzip the ULD file. Then opened the Printer Tool. The Printer Tool found my printer. But my printer model is not on the printer data base so it suggest to install the general printer driver. Fine, then it need the ppd file. Since I unzip the ULD file, the Printer Tool should find that ppd file itself. But I had to find that ppd file menually and sent it to the Printer Tool and installed it. But when I tried to open the printer, it said that it need this file before using this printer : /usr/lib/cups/fiter/rastertospl. I saw the file "rastertospl" was there in the back ground but the Printer Tool didn't recognize it. I could mot find anyway to send this file "rastertospl" to the Printer Tool. It means that the installation was failed.

For the Swarfendor's instruction, do I need to connect the printer with the USB cable and power on it at the first place ? Also do I need to unzip the ULD file before I do anything ?

Thanks in advance.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:51:57 am

Hi, always advisable to have the printer on unless it can wake up (like the old Canon i865 does on the router). I don't know if those installed files would conflict with a fresh install. Will have a delve for that file you stated. ;)

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:55:20 am

Hi, please read the ENTIRE thread so you can get somewhere with your printing problems!:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2215475

:D

Stephanie

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:57:08 am

Just to say my quite old Canon MP190 work fine with Zorin, Libre Office Writer prints very well :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:59:13 am

The problem with printing in the UK is that by default, all setings are set to US Letter, so you have to change that before doing a test print! :D

Stephanie

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:09:29 pm

:D

JL68

Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:21:11 pm

Hi, today, I followed Swarfendor's instruction to do. At the end the GDebi package installer had installed the printer driver sucessfully. The Status said : the dependencies are satisfied. Same version is already installed. But when I went to the System-Printer and there was no printer configuration. So I started Add Printer .......eventually the Printer Tool could not find the printer driver.

Then I followed Wolfman's link (Easy Linux). I followed the instruction which is very simple and it installed the ULD.tar.gz successfully. Then I want to the System - Printer and there is my printer's logo. I clicked the property. Most of the things are in it. I could print a test page successfully. Then I went to Simple Scan and I could scan a page of document. I don't know why this method is so simple and the other several methods so complicated.

Anyway, I am happy to use my printer now.
Again, thanks for Swarfendor and Wolfman their effort and using their own time to help the fellow Linux user. Their work are great.

thanks
Jack

Wolfman

Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:20:32 pm

Nice one, have marked as solved!. :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:53:15 am

Glad to be of help friend. In GNU/Linux of varioius distributions I never got the printer to work using the interface even with the driver listed - the command line had to be used first:

Code:
sudo system-config-printer

[With acknowledgements to a PearOS forum member when I frequented there!]