This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

A specific game launcher freezes the entire OS.

rmrockit

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:48:51 pm

I've had this problem so far online Zorin and Deepin, which means both uses Compix more than likely. I found in a forum that apparently Compix conflicts with the launcher to a game that I like to play from Windows. This works just fine on Ubuntu, and Mint.

The problem is once the launcher comes up to start the install, it doesn't fully load all it's graphics and the entire computer will freeze up. Which requires me to hard restart my computer myself. I'm new to Linux, but I can assure you this problem is related to the OS or something within the OS conflicting with it, because it works just fine on Mint and Ubuntu.

If someone could please help, I'd appreciate it. I don't know how to make it work, and I really don't wanna use another OS. I was thinking about paying for the Ultimate edition of this, but if it's not going to handle just the 1 game I even bother to play at all, while other ones can, then I can't see a reason to pay for it... unfortunately.

Wolfman

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:57:57 pm

Hi,

go here and look at the part about playing games with Linux:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Did you do a full system update?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

What graphics card do you have?.

Paste this terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t) and copy & paste the results back here please:

Code:
lspci

rmrockit

Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:42:45 pm

@Wolfman

Hello,

Those links weren't very helpful to my situation, but thank you.

Yes I did do a full system update.

My graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX660.

The resultes you requested from pasting that into the terminal are here:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev a4)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation B75 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family 4-port SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family 2-port SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 [GeForce GTX 660] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 09)

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:04:38 pm

Just for clarity, Deepin does not use Compiz - I know as i have tried to install Compiz to Deepin on another drive! ;)

Could you tell us what game it is you are trying to run? Do you still have a windows rig to run dependency walker?

http://dependencywalker.com/

Also did you happen to know what version of Wine you had running in Mint and Ubuntu?

rmrockit

Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:39:49 pm

Ah okay, I suppose it don't then. But someone in their own forums told me that it did.

Sure, the game is Elder Scrolls Online. No I do not still have Windows 7, my key for some reason kept saying it was invalid when i put it in, so I got angry and removed it and gave up. I called Microsoft, and they told me I had to buy a new version of Windows - I refused. I don't see the point in constantly re-buying what I already have.

The version of Wine I had I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was the latest version and that was only a few days ago.

Wolfman

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:02:31 pm

Hi,

if you haven't already done so, install the drivers for your Nvidia graphics card, going by the "lspci" list above, you should install the "nvidia-331" package, you can do that via a terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t) and do a restart afterwards!:

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-331

Let us know how you get on!. :D

rmrockit

Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:37:12 am

@Wolfman

Hello,

Thank you. I had 304 installed according to the terminal when it removed it, and started installing 331 like you instructed me to do through the terminal. I'll restart and see if that makes it any better. If not, I'll let you know by editing this post, instead of posting a new one. Though I doubt it'll make any difference, because visuals shouldn't freeze an entire OS if there is nothing wrong with the card itself. But driver software sometimes can be a mystery, so we'll see. I've had odd things happen due to drivers before on Windows, that I didn't think would possibly be caused by a driver. Maybe those things can happen here too.

EDIT: I did what you said, installed the driver via terminal and restarted. Then I tried to run the installer through PlayOnLinux again, and the launcher didn't fully load it's graphics yet, and froze the entire computer. Since there is no way to take a screenshot while the entire system is frozen, there is no way for me to show you what it looks like.

Wolfman

Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:38:01 pm

Hi,

did you install the mono-complete package too?. (Netframework for Linux)

If you didn't, you can install it via the terminal with the following command (Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

Restart your PC and see if it changes things.

If your screen goes blank during the game start, press Ctrl + Alt + Backspace (or Ctrl + Alt + F4), it will log you fully out to a bare desktop, press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart.

If you are still having problems with games, run the following commands and if anything at all gets updated, restart your PC again:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

then:

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f

Let us know if this helps. :D

rmrockit

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:51:12 am

@Wolfman

I did all that, still same problem.

Wolfman

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:53:26 am

Hi,

what method of install did you employ and did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

rmrockit

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:07:45 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

what method of install did you employ and did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

I installed it via PlayOnLinux, I followed it's on screen instructions and it guided me through it until the games launcher came up. It has a launcher because it's an MMORPG. I do not have a disk of it and the install file isn't an ISO, so that link won't be very helpful.

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:15:59 am

Hi,

no, I meant which method did you use to install Zorin OS to your PC and if you burnt the ISO at the slowest possible speed and/or formatted the USB stick before creating your bootable stick?.

rmrockit

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:37:28 am

no, I meant which method did you use to install Zorin OS to your PC and if you burnt the ISO at the slowest possible speed and/or formatted the USB stick before creating your bootable stick?.

Oh okay. I burned it using the maximum speed the first time. Then I burned a second copy and did slow speed, at the suggestion of someone on the Linux Mint Help channel on HexChat because I did it from Linux Mint. I don't own a USB stick, I need to get one though. I'm running out of DVDs as well. I intend soon to purchase the Ultimate Edition of this anyway, and hopefully we can still solve this problem with my game.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:39:52 am

Hi, Wolfman was wanting to know did you let Zorin do the install for you - it is always best to use the 'something else' method:

http://vimeo.com/110085401

rmrockit

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:04:54 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, Wolfman was wanting to know did you let Zorin do the install for you - it is always best to use the 'something else' method:

http://vimeo.com/110085401

Yes I did let it do it for me. Why is it best to do 'something else'? Why would it effect how PlayOnLinux and the launcher of a specific game works? The same problem happens on Deepin OS, but not on Ubuntu or Mint. It doesn't make sense to determine how I installed the OS to determine why the launcher of the game I'm trying to install, freezes the entire OS. I don't understand. If I don't use Mint it seems I'm not able to install this game... I don't understand why it has to be so complicated to install one game.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:29:50 pm

OK. I can't answer that one in respect of the game but in respect of stable installation. Let's remember that Windows games have their own foibles too. For instance I have been replaying an old favourite of mine, Homeworld. If I click on the Homeworld.exe it will not start, even though it is associated with Wine program loader but if I click on the HWMenu.exe which is on the CD and I made a shortcut on the desktop, that works. (Just as an aside the intro videos play at wrong resolution in Zorin but run at correct dimensions on Netrunner 14!] :D

rmrockit

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:39:41 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK. I can't answer that one in respect of the game but in respect of stable installation. Let's remember that Windows games have their own foibles too. For instance I have been replaying an old favourite of mine, Homeworld. If I click on the Homeworld.exe it will not start, even though it is associated with Wine program loader but if I click on the HWMenu.exe which is on the CD and I made a shortcut on the desktop, that works. (Just as an aside the intro videos play at wrong resolution in Zorin but run at correct dimensions on Netrunner 14!] :D

It sounds frustrating.

I bet that Elder Scrolls Online will freeze at the launcher for anyone using Zorin, not just me. Which would prove that it's not a bad OS install. I'm surprised no one that's been trying to help me with this, has tried to install it themselves. That would prevent having to put in terminal codes, and or reinstall the OS... I've changed some things, like icons and such and if I can help it, I really don't want to do that again. But if I purchase the Ultimate Edition, I don't know if I can just upgrade this Core version to it, or if I have to reinstall the OS from the disk sent in the mail from Ultimate, or make a new disk of it myself and install. It seems tedious and unnecessary.

Forgive me, sometimes the way I type makes it seem as if I'm being hateful or something along those lines, but I'm not doing that at all. I don't always know how to communicate properly, it's a mental thing. But I'm doing the best I can. One of my friends won't stop pestering me to stop using Zorin and give up on trying to get my game to work on it, and go back to Mint - but I don't want to use Mint - I like Zorin OS 9, and I intend to stick with it, I just don't want to have to use another OS for 1 game, when something can be done to make Zorin OS install my game, without freezing up the entire OS. As I said before, this doesn't occur on Mint at all and I burned my OS install disks exactly the same way, the first disk burned at maximum speed, second burned at slowest - I've done that for all the OSes i've tried lately. I am new to Linux, but I do know at least basic computing and since I'm so use to Windows and had used them for so many years, I figured Zorin was right for me, and it turns out I was right about that, since it's as close to the layout setup as Windows 7 as possible without using Windows design elements specifically.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:19:16 pm

OK I will give it a try and see if I get any further! ;)

On second thoughts - read this thread (in its entirety!):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2113228

Also try this - install Opera 12.16 from Zorin Browser Chooser/Manager under Menu | Internet - then when you get to the site that runs ESO, go to 'Preferences' and on 'Network' tell Opera to identify as Internet Explorer for that page. ;)

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:06:07 pm

Hi,

according to the Wine website, it works but only with Wine version 1.7:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=15787

Working on the assumption that you have ver 1.6 installed (that's what I have), you need to replace 1.6 with 1.7!.

https://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu

Let us know if it works. :D

rmrockit

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:09:18 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK I will give it a try and see if I get any further! ;)

Also try this - install Opera 12.16 from Zorin Browser Chooser/Manager under Menu | Internet - then when you get to the site that runs ESO, go to 'Preferences' and on 'Network' tell Opera to identify as Internet Explorer for that page. ;)

There is no option in Network to tell it that.

rmrockit

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:10:32 pm

according to the Wine website, it works but only with Wine version 1.7:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=15787

Working on the assumption that you have ver 1.6 installed (that's what I have), you need to replace 1.6 with 1.7!.

https://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu

Let us know if it works. :D

Nope. I have ran it on various versions of Wine on Mint without a problem. But I could upgrade it to 1.7, I just don't know how.

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:18:57 pm

Hi,

use the following commands:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install wine1.7

It might be advisable to remove the package "wine1.6" first but I am not sure if it will hurt to leave it in!.

Try it without first and if it fails:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove wine1.6

rmrockit

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:55:50 pm

Well, I updated it and tried again knowing that it wouldn't make a difference since I did it on other versions before, and I was right, it didn't fix it. The same thing still happens. I still think it's because of Compiz Window Manager, but I don't know what to do about that.

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:34:25 pm

Hi,

did you restart after doing the update?.

Did you remove wine1.6 or did it happen automatically?. :D

rmrockit

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:41:53 pm

did you restart after doing the update?.

Did you remove wine1.6 or did it happen automatically?. :D

No I didn't restart after the update. The files were replaced clearly since it was updated, why would restarting make a difference?

No, I didn't remove 1.6. I tried without removing it first like you suggested. It didn't fail to update or have any kind of hiccup or error, it just updated.

Anonymous

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:49:28 pm

Screenshot_2625.png
If you didn't know......
You can play your game via [ Steam ] !!@!!

rmrockit

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:56:07 pm

Gizmuntu wrote:
Screenshot_2625.png
If you didn't know......
You can play your game via [ Steam ] !!@!!

To do that I have to buy it again. I do not have a Steam version purchased, I have the regular version and that includes the Imperial Edition.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:02:57 pm

rmrockit wrote:

Sorry, my bad :oops: - I was posting from my failing memory on Win 7 machine:

31.png

Its Tools | Quick Preferences | Edit Site Preferences | Network Tab

rmrockit

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:14:11 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
rmrockit wrote:

Sorry, my bad :oops: - I was posting from my failing memory on Win 7 machine:

31.png

Its Tools | Quick Preferences | Edit Site Preferences | Network Tab

Alright. Thank you. I have that set. Will it use that even though Opera is not set as my default browser, for when the games launcher runs?

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:24:49 pm

See if you can edit the games launcher to point to Opera - usually I have found that if I use links my firefox starts over Opera. The only way to circumvent that would be to uninstall every browser apart from Opera. You could try unchecking making Firefox your default browser - the choice is down to you - I can't advise really as I stopped online gaming after playing Homeworld on line someone stole my callsign whilst I was actually playng the game and all patches applied! :(

rmrockit

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:27:01 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:See if you can edit the games launcher to point to Opera - usually I have found that if I use links my firefox starts over Opera. The only way to circumvent that would be to uninstall every browser apart from Opera. You could try unchecking making Firefox your default browser - the choice is down to you - I can't advise really as I stopped online gaming after playing Homeworld on line someone stole my callsign whilst I was actually playng the game and all patches applied! :(

I may have to try the other options then because I can't access the games launcher to have it point to anything, it freezes the entire computer and I don't know how to edit the launchers file to do it, because when it's not installed yet, it doesn't exist from what I can find.

Anonymous

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:42:57 pm

This should solve your problem without having to revert to another distro !!!!

Open Terminal : ctrl + alt + t

: sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

: sudo reboot

Then log-in > [ Gnome Fallback Compiz/Metacity ]

The above [ Desktop ] always comes in handy when confronted with those headaches.

Plan B Example : Zorin Desktop completely crashes on the user !!!!
One can phsyically go inside and fix/replace certain damaged files that fail on the Zorin Desktop side.

rmrockit

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:26:17 am

Gizmuntu wrote:This should solve your problem without having to revert to another distro !!!!

Open Terminal : ctrl + alt + t

: sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

: sudo reboot

Then log-in > [ Gnome Fallback Compiz/Metacity ]

The above [ Desktop ] always comes in handy when confronted with those headaches.

Plan B Example : Zorin Desktop completely crashes on the user !!!!
One can phsyically go inside and fix/replace certain damaged files that fail on the Zorin Desktop side.

How will that make the games launcher fully load, and stop freezing up the entire OS preventing me from doing anything?

The first option didn't really do anything, from what I can tell, just restarted my computer. As I'm new to Linux I think I'll need a little more information, it doesn't make sense to me.

The second option doesn't say what to do, it just says and shows me what I can do. But not in a way that I can follow and try to do myself.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:20:07 pm

Basically, Gizmuntu is showing you how to add backwards compatibility to Gnome which is what your troublesome App needs! ;)

rmrockit

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:42:31 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Basically, Gizmuntu is showing you how to add backwards compatibility to Gnome which is what your troublesome App needs! ;)

i am aware of that, I just don't understand what to do, because it doesn't say - it just shows a screenshot. When I did the above option, nothing happened.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:48:20 pm

And that is what it is - a screenshot to show you that you install using the commands Gizmuntu told you to enter in a terminal, then after install, at your login, click on the cog wheel to look at different DE (Desktop Environments) you can log in to! ;)