This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Zorin OS9 Canon printer doesn't show correct format

cestran

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:16:24 am

Hi again,

I'm trying to get my printer (Canon MF 4150) to cooperate with my Zorin OS 9. The problem is: It doesn't print yet.

In the beginning, it doesn't look too difficult: In "system configuration" I can find the "printer" entry. Then "add new printer". Unfortunately, they only offer me the MF-4100-version. Okay, I'll try it.

Then I choose: "Install (or insert/add?) ppd-file", which I had downloaded from the Canon website before. I can install the file and everything. Finish and close window.

Now I still can't print. There is an error message which says: "Format not supported". Actually, the only format available in the printer options is "letter". I'm using the European A4 size format.

Any suggestions on how I could find the right format or the correct printer?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:49:02 am

Wolfman

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:17:26 pm

Hi,

and/or go here and download their own driver package from Canon Asia:

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 70810.html

Once downloaded, right click and then "Extract here" and follow the instructions in the README FILE. :D

Let us know if it helps!. :D

cestran

Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:04:32 am

Thank you for your answer. Surprisingly (for myself) I was successful! This is what I did:

1. Downloaded files from Canon Asia site

2. Unpacked folder

3. I ended up with four files for 32-bit, two of them ending with .deb, the other two with .rpm. For starters I chose the two .deb-files:

cndrvcups-common_2.90-1_i386.deb
cndrvcups-ufr2-uk_2.90-1_i386.deb

4. Read the readme.txt that came along with it. Result: Unfortunately, the MF4150 wasn't listed (only MF4100). Gave it a try anyway.

5. Read enclosed manual which comes in HTML-format. Followed the steps (see below).

6. Installed files:

Code:
root@user-OptiPlex-755:~# dpkg -i /home/user/.../cndrvcups-common_2.90-1_i386.deb
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket cndrvcups-common wird gewählt.
(Lese Datenbank ... 251848 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../cndrvcups-common_2.90-1_i386.deb ...
Entpacken von cndrvcups-common (2.90-1) ...
cndrvcups-common (2.90-1) wird eingerichtet ...

Code:
root@user-OptiPlex-755:~# dpkg -i /home/user/.../cndrvcups-ufr2-uk_2.90-1_i386.deb
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket cndrvcups-ufr2-uk wird gewählt.
(Lese Datenbank ... 251970 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../cndrvcups-ufr2-uk_2.90-1_i386.deb ...
Entpacken von cndrvcups-ufr2-uk (2.90-1) ...
cndrvcups-ufr2-uk (2.90-1) wird eingerichtet ...

7. Restarted cups

Code:
~# /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

Error message: File not found! The only files beginning with "cups" i could find in this folder were:

cups
cups-browsed
cups-browsed.dpkg-new

8. Gave it a try just with "cups":

Code:
~# /etc/init.d/cups restart
* Restarting Common Unix Printing System cupsd                          [ OK ]

Well, there you go!

9. Register the printer (PPD) with the print spooler (in this case for usb connection)

This was the sample command:

Code:
~# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p [Printer Name] -m [PPD file] -v usb:[device file location] -E

I inserted this:

Code:
~# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p Canon-MF4150 -m CNCUPSMF4100ZK.ppd -v usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -E

10. Mission accomplished! So far I have tried doc- and pdf-files. Even the duplex-function is working!

A couple of questions remain:

- There are now two printers listed in my print options menu: MF4100 is working, MF4150 is not. Strange! (But in fact it doesn't make any difference.)
- Could I have used the rpm-files just as well?
- I had a couple of ppd-files on my computer (for this printer obviously) and I didn't know which one to use! Eventually I just picked one at random and it worked. What I don't understand: How can I just insert the NAME of this file and not tell the system where the file is?
- I haven't tried the scan function yet. Let's see how it works...

Wolfman

Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:29:10 pm

Hi cestran,

thanks for sharing your results, have marked this as solved!. :D

cestran

Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:06:05 pm

Postscriptum: The scanner is also working. Thanks again!