This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Zorin 9 Lite post installation problems

k2uk

Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:18:15 pm

Hi

Just installed Zorin 9 Lite on an ageing Compaq Presairo V5000.

I have a couple of problems that I can't fix (I'm new to Linux).

1: The WiFi card is not recognised, It has a Broadcom BCM94318MPG chipset. Under Windows the laptop has a push button to turn on/off wireless networking with an LED indicator. Under Zorin this LED will not illuminate when I press the switch.

2: When I shut down the screen turns off but the machine does not turn off even if I leave it alone for over one hour .

Apart from the two mentioned problems the machine work great with Zorin and I look forward to using it once the problems are fixed so any suggestions would be appreciated

Wolfman

Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:48:15 pm

Hi and welcome,

I assume your network cable connection is working, run the updates per the update guide and see if is working after the updates are done, let us know if it helps:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835&p=22914#p22914

You can try using the Additional Drivers Tool in Synaptic!. (See above link)

k2uk

Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:04:22 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi and welcome,

I assume your network cable connection is working, run the updates per the update guide and see if is working after the updates are done, let us know if it helps:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835&p=22914#p22914

You can try using the Additional Drivers Tool in Synaptic!. (See above link)

Thanks for the support.

To make sure that I had not made a mistake when I installed Zorin 9 Lite I re-installed it and ran the updates as suggested. This made no difference to the WiFi, it still did not work.

I then tried the Additional Drivers Tool and two bits of hardware were seen, the internal modem and a Broadcom device so I ticked both to use proprietary drivers. Some activity was seen so I assumed these items had been installed but the WiFi still does not work. Now when I go back to the Additional Drivers Tool I no longer see an entry for the Broadcom device but can see an entry for the modem as can be seen below.

Also, the machine still will not shutdown or restart properly only turning off the screen. I managed to get this image when I tried to restart.

Any further assistance would be appreciated.

Wolfman

Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:37:56 pm

Hi,

try installing the BCM firmware installer and then do an update with the 2nd command pasted below:

Code:
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

then:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

RESTART AFTER RUNNING BOTH COMMANDS AND THEN CHECK "ADDTIONAL DRIVERS TOOL" AGAIN AND SEE WHAT IT SAYS.

Let us know if this helps!. :D

Wolfman

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:50:04 am

I forgot to mention the "Windows Wireless Tool" with which; you can use the Windows drivers for your WiFi driver package on the Windows driver folder, you just need to point the tool to the ".inf" firmware file!.

Wireless Network Drivers_012.jpg

Zorin Menu > System Tools > Administration > Windows Wireless Drivers

See from point 3 here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... diswrapper

See also, it is somewhat old but has good info:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/43752/ho ... s-drivers/

k2uk

Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:52:13 pm

I have solved my WiFi problem and this seems to have also solved the non shutting down problem also.

I came across this blog: http://linux-bsd-sharing.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/howto-enabling-broadcom-bcm4318.html which worked perfectly.

Thanks for all of the help and advice.

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:55:04 pm

Good news!. :D

Thanks for sharing your results!. :D