This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) error auto-mounting partitions on start up

Maerskian

Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:02:50 pm

Just installed Zorin OS 9.1 Core 64 bits on the following (brand new) machine with the following hardware:

I5 4690 / Gigabyte H97 D3H MOBO / 16 gb ram / Crucial MX-100 256 gb SSD / no graphic card / 3 TB Seagate internal HD

With Zorin using the whole SSD.

Found some issues during the installation, as explained here :

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4805#p42962

But Zorin, initially,works fine... so just went ahead and started configuring / personalizing everything.

Used Gparted to create 3 partitions on the 3TB internal HD, using ext4 . Once done, i can mount/unmount these partitions the "regular" way ( going to devices, click to mount / unmount ) .
Now, i want these partitions to auto-mount when Zorin starts, so i used "Disks" ( on preferences ) and marked 'em to do so... and restarted to check it worked... but it didn't .

Not only it didn't automount those partitions, but now i couldn't even access any of 'em .
Turned off automount on "preferences-disks" then executed gparted & re-partitioned / re-formatted again. Now i can mount/unmount those partitions once Zorin starts ... but can't find a way to automount 'em .

Didn't manage to capture the error message displayed the first time, but googling around found out this happened to other users. The error message is very similar to this :

Error mounting /dev/sdc1 at /media/pudu/c42dd9c5-02c1-43d4-9e9c-e33abf57391c: Command-line `mount -t “ext4″ -o “uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid” “/dev/sdc1″ “/media/pudu/c42dd9c5-02c1-43d4-9e9c-e33abf57391c”‘ exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog – try
dmesg | tail or so

also tried locating my "etc/fstab" folder but there isn't one ... all i see is "etc/fstab.d" .

Not sure if all of this makes sense or what i did wrong ... i have a very similar pc with windows 8.1 & Zorin 9 installed ( also with a 256 gb SSD for OSs + 3 TB seagate internal HD for data ) and followed almost the same steps without facing this issues ... only difference was, i formatted the HD in NTFS from Windows before installing Zorin .

Any ideas about what went wrong ? Should i try re-installing from scratch ?

Wolfman

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:07:33 pm

Hi,

you can try running these terminal commands (Ctrl + Alt + t) first in case you have any missing dependencies and see if that helps:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

then:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

RESTART IF ANYTHING GETS UPDATED!.

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Autom ... Partitions

Maerskian

Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:16:59 pm

Hi there

Just copy-pasted those lined on the terminal and ended up downloading about 3 mb , so restarted the system afterwards.

Tried again auto-mounting using the "Disks" tool , but it's back to square one. This is a copy-paste of my error message :

Error mounting system-managed device /dev/sda1: Command-line `mount "/mnt/Escritorio"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

Just took a glance at that link you posted, but i'm wondering about two things before trying :

1) I'm under the impression that i should be able to see the /etc/fstab folder with one file inside ... but all i see is a "fstab.d " empty folder ... shouldn't i do something about this ?

2) Before pasting those commands into the terminal, i had the "Install Zorin" option under "administration" . As i said the initial installation crashed so the whole process didn't feel "clean" ... and the fact such an option was there seems to reinforce what i suspected .

Funny enough, after pasting those command and restarting, now that option changed to "Install RELEASE" ( yes, with capital letters ) . Clicked on it just for the heck of it, and it even takes longer to load than any other application.

Think i'm going to re-install once again, now partitioning/formatting as Swarfendor suggested , will let you know how it goes .

Maerskian

Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:14:48 pm

Ok, now trying to pre/partition pre/format everything before installing ... and here comes a new issue :shock:

Following Swarfendor steps, i am now running Zorin live . Deleted all previous partitions with Gparted and now i created a 56320 mb Primary partition in ext4 labeled as / .

Problem is, now i can not create an extended partition :? , i select the unallocated space, right click on new ... and only can create a primary one .... am i missing something ?

Wolfman

Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:32:45 pm

Maerskian

Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:01:57 pm

Wolfman wrote:http://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

:oops: Sorry, didn't get to that third part first ... so now i realize my mistake .

Anyways, i finally managed to do a clean Zorin installation following the advice from one user on another forum i can't remember now ( just found a piece of paper with that written on it, it was more than 1 year ago, true story ! ) , and it goes like this ( for a 256 gb SSD ) :

With the SSD completely new just run "Install Zorin" then check "something else" and :

- 2048 mb for Linux Swap ( Logical )
- 512 mb for Efi boot Primary
- around 56 gb for "/" root - ext4 - Primary
- The rest for "/home" - ext4 - Logical

This computer has 16 gb ram so, granted, 2gb for ram seems excessive ... but the thing is .... it finally worked !!!

Now everything was properly installed and finally i have my ease of mind, since other methods like installing 2 times in a row clearly installed an unstable system ( on my particular case )

So, step one solved ... even if this was not the purpouse of this thread ... will copy-paste on the "installator crashed" thread hoping it may help somebody and will go for step 2 : formatting the 3tb hd and auto-monting on start up .

Will keep you posted ;-)

Maerskian

Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:43:58 pm

Took me a good while, experimenting new approachs to do this the easy way ( through a GUI like "Disks" , like i always did ... but not sure why this time it didn't work ) .

My main objective was to create three ext4 partitions and automont 'em on the startup . During one of my multiple experiments using the GUI of Disks, i succeeded ..... although just with NTFS partitions ... not with ext4 .

Good news is... it's finally solved :D .

Did the following:

Step 1 : Created three ext4 partitions using Gparted.

Step 2 : Checked the UUID for each partition and copy-pasted each one into a text file .

Step 3: Opened a terminal as root

Step 4: created three folders for each partitions on /media this way ( needless to say "mainvolume" , "storage1" and "storage2" are the names i chose for each partition :

mkdir /media/mainvolume
mkdir /media/storage1
mkdir /media/storage2

Step 5 : Then modified the fstab file with gedit this way:

gedit /etc/fstab

That contained something like this :

Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sdb3 during installation
UUID=0e2fd65c-0056-46c7-bb7a-6ca10813adf2 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sdb2 during installation
UUID=131A-5954  /boot/efi       vfat    defaults        0       1
# /home was on /dev/sdb4 during installation
UUID=1dc3952a-0a97-405a-983e-c7afdbe457ca /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
# swap was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
UUID=483b9696-62d6-4d99-ac6d-f642d5cb4fa3 none            swap    sw              0       0

So, now i just needed to add three lines here, one for each partition following this structure ( note: this is strictly for ext4 partitions ) :

Code:
UUID=XXXXXXXXXXXX     /media/folder_as_we_named_it   ext4   errors=remount-ro 0 1

Saved ... restarted ... and finally worked :D

Thanks to everybody for your time & help.
Hopefully this will be of use for somebody in the near future

Wolfman

Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:39:16 pm

Good news, I will mark this as solved!. :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:10:03 am

Because you have an SSD, interesting Fedora thread here:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=215109

with a link to this:

http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/02/22/ ... -for-ssds/

Both worth reading in their entirety! :D

Maerskian

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:20:36 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Because you have an SSD, interesting Fedora thread here:

with a link to this:

Great ! Will be checking this tonight .
I was wondering about some way to optimize SSDs on linux ... finally looks like there's something :)

Maerskian

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:58:42 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Because you have an SSD, interesting Fedora thread here:

with a link to this:

Also, forgot to thank you for linking trisquel on your signature ;-) , it's a project from my city's university ( Vigo ) , so as a fellow citizen : thank you very much !

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:53:44 pm

I haven't tried the latest release yet - I thought the launch music of 5.5 far superior to 6 (and the wallpaper on 5.5 better too! Great roll-up distro as new versions are released and the best out there for people with vision problems! :D