This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Keybd layout switches from German to English random

cestran

Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:37:42 pm

Hi,

one minor problem with my freshly installed Zorin OS 9 - but still very annoying.

I use a German keyboard layout, which I have chosen while installing. Every other time I start my computer the layout is English (without me having changed anything). Next time it`s German again.

Please mark: The little language icon on the uper right side of the screen (in my case) consistently signifies the German layout - even when this is very obviously not the case.

I`ve tried the language options: The keyboard entry options are set to IBUS. The only other option is "none", which I haven`t used because it doesn`t sound very convincing to me.

Thanks for your advice.

Wolfman

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:25:12 am

Hi cestran,

I had exactly the same problem myself recently as I too have a German keyboard, I simply did a full system update by running Synaptic and the problem seemed to solve itself, is your "Software Download Sources Location" set to "Main"?.

See the relevant section in the update guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

cestran

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:52:40 pm

Hi,

is this what you mean by Software Downlowad Sources Location?

Thanks!

Wolfman

Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:05:31 pm

Hi cestran,

dass ist geanu richtig!. (That is exactly what I meant!) (Haupt-Server = Main server)

Software & Updates (as superuser)_001.jpg

cestran

Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:41:20 pm

Does it do the system any harm to have the other boxes ticked as well? (e. g. you seem to have done so.)

Anyhow, Ill try the update you suggested...

Edit: I just did this (as you suggested in your manual for a system update):

You can also do the same as the above commands using Synaptic, open Synaptic and click on "Reload" then "Mark All Updates" and lastly on "Apply". (Except the force part!!!!)

... I have rebooted a couple of times since then, and it seems that the problem has disappeared. Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:30:47 pm

Glad you are sorted - another 60 blue jewels to Wolfman! Have marked as [SOLVED] - had to edit your initial post to fit it in! :D