This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 8 lags and glitches

cyfral6

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:35:52 am

Welcome, so I installed Zorin OS 8 Gaming lately and I gotta say, this thing is slow as hell. I've tried deleting boinc, getting new nvidia drivers, disabling the animations but nothing really helped... The windows are lagging, the text is bugging, the system tray is a joke. I recorded some of the problems (30fps), here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7u7f29XbSA
Any ideas? The system tray is especially annoying so I want to fix at least that. Cheers

Wolfman

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:40:58 am

Hi,

did you follow this advice:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Make sure you do a full system update per the guide and that your Software Sources Settings are set to "Main":

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Did you install the package "mono-complete" which is the Linux version of NetFramework which is needed for gaming?.

To install via the terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

To update the system via the terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

If you have an Nvidia graphics card, see this thread and check that you have the correct drivers installed:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Let us know if this helps. :D

cyfral6

Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:25:08 am

Thanks for the reply, as for the ISO burning, I installed the system from external HDD, update was the first thing I did after booting up the system for the first time, I have mono installed as I needed it for wine and for the nvidia drivers I have newer version (346.35) than in the guide, it seems to be working pretty well with games and stuff, just the kde is being mean to me... beside that (as I stated before) I purged boinc which actually saved me a lot of CPU usage. If you need any config files to check, let me know which, I'm pretty new to all this

Wolfman

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:31:32 am

Hi,

the reason that the newer nvidia drivers aren't listed in the guide is because they are not as yet available via Synaptic, you can try dropping down to the "nvidia-331" drivers which might help as I cannot comment on the newer drivers!.

Did you run a system update after installing the drivers?. :D

cyfral6

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:27:13 am

I ran system update before installing the drivers, it then updated my nvidia drivers to 331 I think, it was the same as now, that's why I tried updating the drivers... I remember having the same problem with kde on my ancient pc with Mandriva 2007 (with nvidia) and I just can't figure out what's wrong. I tried screwing with compiz, enabling and disabling stuff, changing openGL options and it's still the same. To be honest the file browser thingy doesn't bother me that much, it's just slow... the thing that bothers me is the system tray. It's a pain to start system monitor every time I want to quit Amarok, Kazam or Thunderbird...

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:11:41 am

Hi,

try running DPKG per the update guide, a NETWORK CABLE is required:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

I have also noticed you are running Zorin OS 8, is that correct?, Zorin 8 is NO LONGER SUPPORTED!.

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2014/07/17/ubu ... y-17-2014/

You should either wait for Zorin OS 9 Gaming or download the normal Zorin OS 9 ISO and install all the gaming bits you need!.

Let us know if this helps. :D

I will PM the devs as it should not be showing on the download site!. :(

cyfral6

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:08:57 am

Wow, to drop support for the system before even releasing the new version. Way to go. Now I remember why I quit using linux ~_~ I followed your guide and when I run sudo dpkg --configure -a, the terminal does nothing, I opened Synapse to make sure and it seems there are no broken packages, also the only thing left to update is chrome, which I don't use. Thanks for your time, Wolfman. For now, I'll keep trying to somehow magically fix it :shock: if I run out of ideas I might just give up and try another distribution... maybe something with xfce. I'm not even sure if it's the kde only problem...

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:43:47 am

Well you should really try Zorin 9 or drop back to Zorin 6 - former supported to April 209, latter to April 2017. Remember, Zorin is a fork of Ubuntu and any intermediate releases are just the same as Ubuntu - LTS releases last for 5 years now on Ubuntu. ;)

The reason why you won't be able to get updates is because Ubuntu will have pulled the plug on those files but you could try and see if 12.04 files will solve the issue:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/

Wolfman

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:00:56 pm

Hi,

Zorin 8 Gaming has now been removed from the server!. :D

http://zorin-os.com/free.html

Either download the ISO for Zorin OS 6 (until 2017) or OS 9 (until 2019) as both are LTS versions, you can still install all available games at will!. :D

To keep your current settings and files if you want to update to Z9:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

I wouldn't recommend using the something else method as you are going down in config files if you install Z6; that said; I cannot be sure it wouldn't work out okay!. :D