This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] New to Zorin 9.1, liking it

jowilker

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:00:11 pm

I got a used 64 bit laptop for Christmas, have a prior version of Zorin on my netbook, so I thought I'd give 9.1 a shot. I also spoke to my to my tech guy and he gave me a couple used 64 bit PC cases. I am learning and liking Zorin more & more. I have used Firefox, Chrome, & Libreoffice for for a while so all is good there.

I do have some tweaks that I would like to work on.

1- The scroll bar is tooo narrow, how can it be fattened just a bit?

2- The sound adjuster is over my head, my Thunderbird email notification was way too loud and while trying to adjust it I lost it all together. How to get it back?

3- Where is the best place to find info like this that is Ububtu- Zorin related?

John

Stephanie

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:34:13 pm

Wolfman

Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:39:03 pm

Hi,

start here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

What do you mean by lost "Thunderbird sound", did you click on the volume controller in the taskbar and see if it is muted?. (You can also look at System Settings > Hardware > Sound)

jowilker

Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:31:12 pm

Thanks for your responses and welcome.

As for the settings, default system sound is selected, and I have clicked on the other and browse, but have no clue where sounds might be stored that are usable. There were several things out of wack when I started, fonts way too small, sounds too loud, and others. When I say lost I can not find any way to adjust sound on TBird. All the get it and edit and ding it is overwhelming.

Wolfman, I have bookmarked your Post install page and will spend some time there later.

No ideas on how to make the scroll bar over on the right side a little widder? It is very skinny compared to a Windoz screen.

Do you have to be on here for a while before you can set things in your profile?

John

Wolfman

Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:31:36 pm

Hi John,

you can try installing "overlay scrollbar" which is wide, open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and copy and paste the command below into it then press enter and put in your PW, then restart:

Code:
sudo apt-get install overlay-scrollbar

Make sure your system is updated correctly:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Did you do a disk install and follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

And you can edit your own profile any time you want!. :D

jowilker

Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:10:13 pm

Sorry Sir ,That info was not known by me til just now. I have loaded software on several boxes with that disc.

Your instructions did not work, I got
sudo apt-get install overlay scrollbar

E: Unable to locate package overlay
E: Unable to locate package scrollbar

John

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:51:53 am

Hi John,

I am sorry, I missed out the hyphen in that command, it should be: (I have edited the command!)

Code:
sudo apt-get install overlay-scrollbar

If that doesn't work for you, you can also try these commands too:

Code:
sudo apt-get install overlay-scrollbar-gtk2

and:

Code:
sudo apt-get install overlay-scrollbar-gtk3

If you want to install other themes, go here:

http://www.noobslab.com/p/themes-icons.html

Make sure you have "gnome-tweak-tool" (AKA: Tweak Tool) installed so you can change the themes to your liking.

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

You'll find it once installed in: Zorin Menu > SystemTools > Preferences

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/gnome-tweak-t ... tings.html

Let us know if this helps. :D

jowilker

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:39:10 pm

Wolfman, I tried your suggestion sudo apt-get install-overlay scrollbar and got E: Invalid operation install-overlay

Tweak Tool is currently installed.

Bro, This is 2015, I am 66 years old, I have an Android smart phone on my belt, want to get away for the crappy Windoz software, And DO NOT have interest in not be able to go to the software center for fixes & extras, just to be able to wet it, get it, set it, edit, that doesn't seem to work.

I looked at Linux 10 years ago and thought they were stuck in Dos mode instead of point & click and that seems to prevail. I am 25 miles from the Red Hat headquarters and see what they are doing for our area. Zorin seemed to be something this old fart, non computer person could work with, but I am not getting a warm & fuzzy feeling.

What am I doing wrong?

John

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:13:59 pm

Hi there, take a look at my tutorial video on gnome-color-chooser:

http://vimeo.com/89352123

jowilker

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:44:42 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi there, take a look at my tutorial video on gnome-color-chooser:

Yea Swarfendor437, That worked, was easy enough, once I was able to find it in the Zorin Menu. The bar is a touch wider on Firefox than Chrome, but I can live with it. :D

One down, need to find a solution for the new mail no sound on Thunderbird.

John

PS: how soon before I can access my account profile, to edit it?

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:36:31 pm

H John,

just click on the button "User Control Panel" next to your name at the top where you log in on the very left!. :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:55:15 pm

jowilker wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi there, take a look at my tutorial video on gnome-color-chooser:

Yea Swarfendor437, That worked, was easy enough, once I was able to find it in the Zorin Menu. The bar is a touch wider on Firefox than Chrome, but I can live with it. :D

One down, need to find a solution for the new mail no sound on Thunderbird.

John

PS: how soon before I can access my account profile, to edit it?

Hi, I chose those settings just to show how wide you can make it - you can choose a smaller number and see if the scroll bars meet your desired width requirements. ;)

I haven't got round to installing Cairo-Dock again yet but the mail notification for Thunderbird works really cool in Cairo-Dock as it gives a notification window near top right of screen like outlook does on a mail server in windows. ;)

jowilker

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:52:15 pm

Wolfman, what .extensions are acceptable? I haven't found anything yet to get an image that will satisfy this forum.

Swarfendor437, I am a long Firefox, Thunderbird user and would like to continue. I have no idea of what happened but I get no sound on Tbird at all. All clicked places all check yes. I just don't know where to go from here.

John

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:14:14 am

I think cairo-dock makes a sound too but will check this out and let you know.

As for uploading screenshots it should be .jpg - .png's are ok if less than 100 Kb but taking a full screenshot of the desktop normally saves a very large .png - just open the .png in 'Image viewer' and change the .png extension to .jpg and save. ;)

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v385833212XzmANbj

jowilker

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:13:12 am

I downloaded a .wav file that plays in the download folder, and have loaded it to Tbird as an alt. sound but nothing plays yet. I have closed the program but not re-booted the computer.

John

EDIT: Computer has been turned off rested and refired, still no sound. :x

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:53:09 pm

Please be patient - I hope I have time to be at computer tonight - at work - to install Cairo-Dock and let you know how TB works in that as stated in earlier post!

Wolfman

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:22:11 pm

Hi,

have you checked out Thunderbird > Edit > Preferences > Sound?:

Thunderbird Preferences_008.jpg

Have you checked System Settings > Sound > Sound Effects > Output Settings/Alert Volume?

Sound_009.jpg

jowilker

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:36:58 pm

[quote="Wolfman"]Hi,

have you checked out Thunderbird > Edit > Preferences > Sound?:

Yes sir I have, please note my last. I checked the little box, "Use the following sound file" No Sound

John

Wolfman

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:00:36 pm

Hi,

did you also check the sound settings in system sound?.

What file are you trying to play or are you using the default setting?. :D

jowilker

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:00:40 pm

Wolfman, GOT IT, The Alert Vol was all the way down. :D

If you want to mark this one solved go ahead, I can start a new thread for my next item.

John

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:30:18 pm

Hi, Glad you got sorted! This is where my sound comes from in Cairo-Dock - don't remember ever hearing it in Zorin Default:

newmessage.jpg

Wolfman

Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:31:12 pm

jowilker wrote:Wolfman, GOT IT, The Alert Vol was all the way down. :D

If you want to mark this one solved go ahead, I can start a new thread for my next item.

John

Alrighty then!. :D