This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] autostarting a web browser

tlgalenson

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:49:07 am

I want to "autostart" the Chrome web browser after I login. The general idea is no matter who the user is, Chrome starts right up.

I am running Zorin OS - lite (32 bit) v9 (I think).

I am looking for a specific step by step procedure in that I am not a Linux person.

Basically you can do this in Windows with a drag and drop. And it is very useful for emulating a Chromebook like feel.

I have installed Zorin OS for the Windows gui without the windows slowdown. So need the very last step...

Thanks.

Tom

Henriolavi

Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:46:59 am

Hi

This includes the solution to Zorin 8 Lite on the page 2. I believe that it is the same with Lite 9.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7385

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:59:41 am

Hi Tom,

click on Zorin Menu > Internet > Right click "Chromium Browser" > Properties > File Properties > Desktop Entry > Command and highlight (copy) the command showing in the command window:

File Properties_004.jpg

Step 2:

Zorin Menu > Preferences > Default applications for LX session > Autostart > paste the copied command at the top where it says "Add" and once pasted, click on "Add" > Done and restart your PC!:

LXSession configuration_005.jpg

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835&p=22914#p22914

Let us know if this helps. :D

tlgalenson

Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:46:00 pm

Since nothing happens when I click on "properties". Does this imply I don't have a current release or is there some other thing I should be investigating?

I appreciate the prompt response and the specific steps.

Thanks,

Tom

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:52:38 pm

Hi Tom,

right click the Chromium Browser icon in the Zorin menu and you will see properties!.

tlgalenson

Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:15:37 am

I did right click and can see the properties. But when I click on properties nothing happens.

All is not lost though. While I would like to know why that is not working I was able to use the file manager to locate the menu item in question, open it (somehow) find the command in question which turned out to have a full file path too. I copied that full file path and application name into the previously discussed "startup" and it is now working (browser is starting right up).

Thank you.

Tom