This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Zorin ask me to input my login p-word again & again

Maerskian

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:12:35 am

Have Zorin 9.1 Core 64 bits installed on a fairly recent computer since 6-7 months ago, running smoothly.

Today, while i was browsing the web using firefox ... it suddenly blocks the screen , shows the log in screen and ask for my password.
I entered it once ( not sure i should ... ) but one minute later, this happens again.

Just turned off the computer, and not even dare to reboot again just in case .... writing from a different computer now.

Any idea about what could possibly be happening ?
I didn't install anything weird nor downloaded any suspicious attached file ... didn't even navigate through shady webs... so, still wondering what could have happened here.

Hope this has nothing to do with a possible cryptolocker attack ?!

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:27:34 am

Maerskian

Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:20:53 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Is it the screenlock?:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1292451

Now you mention ... looks like it but ... does this happen even if i have disabled the screenlock ?

Maerskian

Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:29:58 am

On top of that... my Zorin is up to date... i even check for updates on an almost daily basis just in case ...

Maerskian

Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:09:10 am

Ok, just checked that computer again . Removed the HD for data and just left the SSD with the OSs installed ( win 8.1 and Zorin 9 ) .

The course of events goes like this :

- Zorin Starts -> i log in entering my password -> Then, a typical error screen pops up saying there was a mistake with some application ( not mentioning which one ) and there's two buttons , one to cancel, another one to report that problem .

If i click on cancel, that error window will pop up again within minutes, while if i click on "report problem" ... it asks for my password ! First time i've ever seen a reporting tool asking for such thing ...

One last note i just noticed :

This happens more often when i have firefox open & try to navigate. The more i use firefox, the sooner firefox closes then go back to the login screen... then again those error messages.

Also: if i shut down the computer on the log in screen ... it reboots ! again & again .

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:45:54 pm

Hi Please check Wolfman's excellent post installation guide under 'Announcements' - there is a section in their to remove the 'application reporter' to stop getting those messages. :D

Maerskian

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:09:14 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Please check Wolfman's excellent post installation guide under 'Announcements' - there is a section in their to remove the 'application reporter' to stop getting those messages. :D

The one about the "lite" version ?

Wolfman

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:33:49 pm

Hi,

no this one:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

See the bit about "apport" at the bottom!. :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:24:21 pm

Cheers Wolfman - under a lot of pressure this lunch time and the little grey cells they are failing n'est-ce pas?! :D

Maerskian

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:56:45 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

no this one:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

See the bit about "apport" at the bottom!. :D

oops :oops: , thanks for pointing that out .

Ended up formatting & reinstalling the whole thing again . That report window looked like something relatively easy to solve ( as i now realize it is , indeed :) ) ... but didn't like the part about it going back to the login screen , or the computer re-booting by itself again & again ... so think it was for the best.

Regardless of this, find that link really interesting and i missed it before; deactivated the report screen just in case, and still checking about other stuff as well, so it was quite helpful in the end, thank you very much !

Think i also should mention this part, since this wasn't exactly a case-closed :

Once Zorin was once again up & running, everything worked as usual. Installed my favorite missing apps, added some extensions to firefox, imported my bookmarks & speed dials .... everything was dreamy once again... and then, i opened one of the links on my speed dial ... like 20 seconds after, the screen blacked out, then i saw the login screen again !!

So, it looks that websited has something that really crashes either Zorin or Firefox... but can't really figure out what. I can send or post a link to that website if you want so you can check .

It's a spanish forum about economy / real state / politic focused on the real state bubble, and that link was just pointing to a thread where they were discussing the perception of human beauty as a way to gauge how religious people could be ( yeah .... i know... but i thought it was worth checking :mrgreen: ) .

Have been browsing through that forum since a decade ago ... so can't really understand why that particular thread causes such behaviour ... and don't think is just the subject itself :lol: .

Think i'll leave that link here, so somebody can check if something strange happens as well , but please, do it with caution :

http://www.burbuja.info/inmobiliaria/temas-calientes/561557-que-belleza-importante-roger-scruton-8.html

Wolfman

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:38:08 pm

Hi,

that link works fine on my PC using Chromium Browser!.

Have marked as solved!: :D

Maerskian

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:14:15 pm

that link works fine on my PC using Chromium Browser!.

Have marked as solved!: :D

O.o . Thanks for letting me know .
Anybody daring to try it using firefox ?

Wolfman

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:49:15 pm

Hi,

works fine on FireFox my end!. :D

Maerskian

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:27:34 pm

works fine on FireFox my end!. :D

Thanks a million for the feedback.

This is puzzling me so much it's even messing my mind .... what could be the reason for such behaviour ?

Since i'm using firefox would bet on firefox flash-plugin known issues ; adobe said they'd be releasing security updates but that promise surely faded along the way at some point ...
Just added a plugin to display flash content using html5 ; still not sure how it works nor if it applies to banners and such, but will be experimenting with this one for the short term.

Thanks again

Wolfman

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:05:51 pm

Hi,

it might be Java related, if you haven't installed any version of Java, try installing the following package via the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and see if it helps:

Code:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre

Let us know what happens!. :D

Maerskian

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:27:56 pm

it might be Java related, if you haven't installed any version of Java, try installing the following package via the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and see if it helps:

Code:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre

Let us know what happens!. :D

Hiya !

Just tried, but it was already installed O.o ... the mystery remains in the air ...

Wolfman

Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:12:54 am

Hi,

okay, it might be dependency (or missing bits of a package!) related so try the following two commands:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

then:

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f

If anything updates, restart your PC!.

You can also try simply removing FireFox and re-installing it:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge firefox && sudo apt-get install firefox

Maerskian

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:16:27 am

okay, it might be dependency (or missing bits of a package!) related so try the following two commands:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

then:

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f

If anything updates, restart your PC!.

Hi again and sorry for the delay answering back :oops:

Just tried right now but nothing gets updated.

You can also try simply removing FireFox and re-installing it:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge firefox && sudo apt-get install firefox

Hmmm ... despite that very particular incident, right now everything seems to work fine . Already filled firefox with all the add-ons / bookmarks / speed dial links / passwords / etc ... i need to work with , so think i'll leave it like that for the time being even if it's just for the sake of not personalizing firefox again.

Thanks a lot for your help and each second of your time invested on my case :D