This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) no internet audio

Prof1948

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:59:07 pm

I'm new to Zorin 9 Lite on a 2004 PC. Everything works OK except no audio from internet. I have downloaded VLC and I have audio with audio CD's, I have audio from downloaded MP3 but I can't get any sound from Youtube and such. VLC lists my onboard sound, my Soundblaster card and (when in use) my Saitek wireless speakers. ALSAMIXER also lists all my sound sources but no audio from internet. I've been searching for a solution for the last week and I'm out of ideas. HELP!
Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:45:30 pm

Have you updated the OS since installing?

Prof1948

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:20:24 pm

Yes I had updated but I repeated today using sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and still no audio. I have removed my Soundblaster card in case there was a conflict but no change. :!:

Wolfman

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:23:12 pm

Hi,

go here and install "Paman" per the guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

Pulse Audio Volume Control > Output:

Volume Control_022.jpg

Also, check "Configuration" to make sure the correct card is being addressed!:

Volume Control_024.jpg

Prof1948

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:05:21 pm

This forum really rocks...very fast contributions. Thanks!
Pulse audio volume control shows correct source as "Built-in Audio Digital Stereo (IEC958)" and lower meter bar is moving. Pulse audio volume meter (playback) shows both meter bars moving. Still no sound!

Wolfman

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:19:35 pm

Hi,

paste this command in a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and try again:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libsox-fmt-all

Make sure "sox" gets installed too, if not:

Code:
sudo apt-get install sox

Did you use this command from the guide too?:

Code:
sudo apt-get install sox libsox-fmt-all faac flac paman

Prof1948

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:01:44 pm

Yes I did according to the guide. I also did the other two commands and I get a response that the "commands for lack of a more accurate term" are already installed. Still no audio. Thanks for bearing with me!

Prof1948

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:13:26 pm

Further to my last post, I installed Chrome, still no sound. I opened Firefox and searched via Yahoo for Youtube still no sound. I tried my speakers on my other PC and I get Youtube audio.

Wolfman

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:42:44 pm

Hi,

you said you took out one of the sounds so we know that that isn't the problem?, when you installed; did you tick the box "Install 3rd party software"?.

If you didn't; you might need to install the package "ubuntu-restricted-extras", you can also install the "libxine" packages which might help:

Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Code:
sudo apt-get install libxine1-all-plugins

Code:
sudo apt-get install libxine2-all-plugins

Restart your PC!.

Let us know if this helps!. :D

Prof1948

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:13:12 pm

I ran sudo apt-get install libxine-dev. I rebooted, no sound. Then I changed in "Volume control" "configuration" from digital to analog and VOILA: I now have audio !!! Now if I reinstall my Soundblaster would I get better sound quality or should I leave well enough alone. Is digital really better than digital under normal conditions ie. with cheap speakers. Thanks again!

Prof1948

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:34:38 pm

I did all that and rebooted but no sound. Then I changed audio output from digital to analog and VOILA: audio is on. However Youtube is now hyperslow. Would libxine have any effect? In addition is digital audio better than analog on cheap speakers? Also, would my Soudblaster card influence sound quality (I dont know if SB is only digital...). Thanks!

Wolfman

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:35:07 pm

Hi,

not sure about the SB card, try installing it and switch off the onboard sound in BIOS and see!. (Don't forget to reset any settings with the Pulse Audio Manager (Paman) again!)

For lagging play with flash vids, right click the screen when a flash vid is playing > Global Settings > Global Storage Settings > (set to) Unlimited. Also, enlarge a playing flash vid and right click the screen and click on Settings > Disable hardware acceleration

Libxine would not have any affect on vids!. :D

Another suggestion if you replace the soundcard is to run DPKG per the guide for that just-in-case scenario!.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247