This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Conditions of HD test results

zoringroup21

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:51:56 am

Folks, please help to figure out if this disk is worth keeping as working / backup ?

Thank you!

Stephanie

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:11:30 am

Hi zoringroup21

Software Im OK with but Hardware is my thing - first your SER is quite high as is the HDDs temp, does this drive have any type of cooling ? placement and room temp do play a part also try a NEW data cable, there is no time limit for HDDs some can last years and some only months, and this drive is (looking at uptime) quite new but do check your Warranty > Here

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:09:40 pm

Just be aware HDDs can leave the factory with any number of faults - bought a special edition of a PC mag covering this. I had a Seagate 300 Gb die on me 2 and a half-years through its 5 year warranty - I would have had to stand to post it back to Seagate when they would send out a Refurb - that's right - a REFURB!!!

I didn't bother - I bought a Samsung 500 Gb - sadly Seagate now own Samsung! :(

Anonymous

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:21:54 pm

zoringroup21 >
Western Digital drives should always be placed/mounted at the highest possible point. [ HD Rack/Tray ]
Reason being the underbelly of the drive is the actual part that needs to be ventilated. [ Stay Cool ]

Datek was a firm believer in [ Hitachi ] ....
I didn't really get into hard drives that much... since they were laying everywhere around our shop like disgarded change. [ Coins ]
In the last six months..I've been using [ Hitachi ] for all the power house gaming machine builds for friends/clients.
Believe me they can take a real beating...especially when it comes to gaming.
Two drives I will not touch for any new build.
Western Digital
Seagate
Never have any trouble getting a replacement warranty !!!! [ New ]

Stephanie

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:18:48 pm

My first Computer (My Dad built for me) quite a few years ago now had two WD VelociRaptors .. I still have these drives and they work fine :D