This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Chinese Character Input

cestran

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:01:16 am

Hi,

I would like to install a Chinese language input method. Have browsed this forum and found a topic dealing with exactly the same problem but unfortunately all the necessary steps seem to be missing here (see post number 2):

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3855&hilit=chinese

This is what I've done so far: Installed Chinese in the language options. See this (probably very tiny) attachment:

languages01.png
languages01
languages01.png (9.56 KiB)

"Zh" stands for Chinese. However, this doesn't help me much as Chinese is a language which requires a special input method. I. e. you type in some (English or German) characters and then the program (which I'm desperately looking for) will propose a range of chinese characters you can choose from. Just by choosing "Zh" I can't type anything in Chinese!

I used a programm/an app like this in Windows. There should be something similar in Linux/Zorin.

Also tried the synaptic package manager (search word "chinese") and got a range of results of which I tried one or two but with no success. There are quite a lot of apps or something which offer chinese for firefox, or for thunderbird. But I want an overall package which applies to everything. Mainly e-mail (Sylpheed) and Libre Office.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Wolfman

Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:03:54 am

Hi cestran,

see this guide and the bit at the bottom: "Keyboard input method system":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1699&p=5927#p5927