This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Internal error

getupkid77

Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:19:24 am

hi all its me again i have an internal error and software center wont start up

Wolfman

Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:19:17 am

Hi,

what "Internal Error"?. Have you done all your updates?.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Have you read the post install guide about disabling "Apport"?. (Ubuntu error reporting app):

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Scroll down to near the bottom to the section "Disable Ubuntu Apport error messages"!. :D

getupkid77

Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:05:02 am

Greetings wolfman i beleive the error has something to do with mono cpmlete i wanted to copy and paste the error or see if there was a code for it but i couldn't figure it out i think it has to o with mono complete i did read about disabling "Apport" but i wasnt sure if the error was anything serious or just somrthing minor that i dont have to worry about i did do the updates and it seemed to help for a while i think i read somewhere that there was something in mono complete that Linux cant read or something

Wolfman

Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:12:54 am

Hi,

if you think that mono-complete is causing your headache, open Synaptic and search for "mono-complete" and right click it and mark for re-installtion and then click on apply!. :D

getupkid77

Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:01:20 pm

i tried to open synaptic and got this

E: Type 'apt-get' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

W: Ignoring file 'mono' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has no filename extension

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:04:23 pm

Can you open Synaptic (Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager - you will be asked to enter your login password) and click on 'Edit' then select 'Fix broken packages'?

getupkid77

Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:18:34 pm

no i get the error i typed above and it shuts down

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:26:08 pm

OK, if you know the exact name of the troublesome package, open a terminal and type:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge mono-complete
- if I have made a typo your terminal may prompt "did you mean mono complete?" ;)

getupkid77

Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:41:13 pm

thanks swarfendor437 what does the purge do?

getupkid77

Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:51:11 pm

tried to run system update in terminal and got this

N: Ignoring file 'mono' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has no filename extension
E: Type 'apt-get' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.

Wolfman

Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:31:59 pm

Hi,

restart in "Advanced Settings" mode > "Recovery Mode" and go to where it says "root", then type this command:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge mono

Hopefully that will remove the offending package, did you download it from a 3rd party website as all Mono packages are available in the Ubuntu repo's?.

Once down with purging, restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on resume!.

recovery menu network.png
recovery menu network.png (9.74 KiB)

getupkid77

Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:10:23 pm

just gonna do a complete re install of Zorin and start from scratch now that i know a little more about linux and how to use it thank you guys for your help

also i did a backup of system so i have somewhere to go back to :D

Wolfman

Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:44:59 am

Hi,

once you have done your fresh install, you can install the "mono-complete" package directly from the Ubuntu repo's using Synaptic or the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

Check out the update guide too:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247