This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(CLOSED- UNRESOLVED) Need Help connecting to HP printer

jowilker

Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:51:18 am

I have several computers in my home, some single use, some dual boot.

I have a HP Laser Jet 6P connected to my windoz 7pro machine. I can get all the windoz machines to recognize and print to the localhost network printer.

I have only tried two of the Zorin machines to get them connected. I can go to the systems settings, click printers, and see "connected to localhost" and the printers name with a white check in a green circle on it. Apparently I need to go deeper into the settings and get something corrected. Can someone advise how to proceed past this point

John

madvinegar

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:04:11 am

Open software center and install the program called "HPLIP".

It is a program specially offered by HP for connection with the HP printers.

Open HPLip and configure your printer through it.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/screenshots.html

Wolfman

Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:58:14 pm

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

In the "Adding Printers:" section

jowilker

Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:36:47 pm

Thanks guys, I have "HPLIP" installed and running. When using CUPS 1.7.2, it finds the printer, with Satus idle- Rendering complete

When using HP Device Manager Setup, Network/Wireless network, I get no devices found.

There has to be a setting on one of the sides that need to be changed to make this work.

John

Wolfman

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:48:23 pm

Hi John,

is the printer wireless switch set to on?. If it isn't sending a signal, the set-up manager (HPLip Toolbox ) won't find it!. :D

See 2.2 here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HpAllInOne

jowilker

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:19:42 pm

Wolfman, A HP 6P has no such animal.

John

Wolfman

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:27:12 pm

Hi John,

check the supported list against the unsupported as I cannot find your model number:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/su ... index.html

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/su ... orted.html

jowilker

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:58:00 pm

I'm sorry are you referring to this? http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/mo ... et_6p.html

John

Wolfman

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:00:00 pm

Hi John,

sorry!, I was under the impression it was a wireless setup you were looking for!.

According to the list, your printer model has no network support that I can see!:

Distro Version Network1

Ubuntu 14.04 No

jowilker

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:05:05 pm

Danged if I know!

Yesterday the wife was working on one of the windoz machines that had successfully printed a test page earlier. She was working with one of our online accounts and wanted to print a couple monthly reports. After trying 3-4 different times, coming in here and checking, we put them on a stick and came here to where the connected printer is and printed them. About an hour later I hear the printer come on and it starts printing the 2 page reports. I get into the control panel and see there are 3-4 more waiting to be printed. I scrambled to get them deleted.

The printer is old, but paid for, & still prints a good page. I don't use it enough to justify buying another one. Being cheep and using free has it's hazzards.

John

Wolfman

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:08:54 pm

The easy way is to copy your docs you want to print onto a stick and paste them into Windows and print them using Windows!. :D

jowilker

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:09:59 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi John,

sorry!, I was under the impression it was a wireless setup you were looking for!.

According to the list, your printer model has no network support that I can see!:

Distro Version Network1

Ubuntu 14.04 No

Wolfman, I'm sorry for any confusion. I tried to be specific in my 1st post that is was connected to a machine and tested. I know you guys spend a lot of time helping people and I don't want to be a burden.

John

Wolfman

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:15:48 pm

No problem mate, sometimes I get the wrong end of the stick!. :D

Like I said before, it doesn't seem to have any network support so I cannot really say any more than that!. If it is printing on your production PC, whenever you need to print, simply copy and paste files between your PC's, a little troublesome but you can get the job done!. :D

"1 Network support indicates built-in ethernet and/or wireless networking. Alternatively, many devices may be operated on the network using an external JetDirect print server. Not all network configurations are supported. Please refer to the HPLIP FAQs for more information.".

jowilker

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:24:02 pm

Wolfman, I think I next may try to see if I can plug the printer into the Zorin machine and get it to work. If successful the next step might be looking for an IOGEAR switch that would allow both machines to print. I currently use one between the 7pro and the Zorin machine near it. 2 taps on the scroll lock and I switch machines.

I chuckled afterwards yesterday, and again at your last post. All she had to do was use the Pro7 machine to go online and print them directly. :lol:

John

Wolfman

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:37:32 pm

Hi John,

let us know how you get on so it can help others with the same model printer!. :D

jowilker

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:22:34 pm

Giving up Wolfman, Nerves are slammed to the wall. Go to system settings, click ptinter, shows printer with name that I assigned it, Cups program recognizes the printer, another allows manual setup sees it at the top but can not find it on step 2.
Run print test page, and it prints one line of mombo jumbo at the top and keeps pulling sheets of paper in.

If it's not to be, it's not to be. :(

Wolfman

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:11:34 pm

Hi John,

if you feel bored at the weekend, you can try doing a manual install!:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... buntu.html

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:08:39 pm

Hi John,

Take a look here - it might help?:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st12063597

Wolfman

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:54:31 am

Hi John,

another question, did you install all the available HP packages including the "ppds packages"?:

Synaptic Package Manager _005.jpg

jowilker

Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:57:10 am

Guys It is NOT going to happen. The printer is just too old. Thing is this printer is a rock solid warrior, sits plugged in ready to print for years at a time. I saw a build date on the back of it yesterday, December 1997. I think is still has it's second or possibly third toner cartridge in all these years. It works. It just does not communicate.

I had a multi purpose Ink jet during this time and the old HP was stored away. You could fill it with new ink and after 100 pages it was wanting $35-50.00 more ink. When the need for fax went away so did it, and the old loyal HP was brought back out and plugged back in. Got a new computer a few years back and no printer port, so I have to find a replacement with USB on one end.

I have it plugged back in to the Windoz 7 pro machine, the wife's 64 bit windoz laptop will print a test page but the 32 bit desktop in another room will not. This also hard wired to the router 64 bit Zorin9 machine will not print. Currently we don't need to print enough to justify buying a new machine. If it's something online I can access it with the win machine and get er done.

I have hours into this chase and I am sure some wise guy could find one little thing somewhere that needed to be changed and WA-LA it would work, but I am done with it. When the toner gives out I will buy a replacement.

John

Wolfman

Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:39:23 pm

Hi John,

thanks for the feedback, I will mark this as (CLOSED- UNRESOLVED). :D

jowilker

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:10:39 pm

I started the netbook today to be able to copy a url and take it to the room with the co-install machine. I was trying to launch Chrome and deleting a couple system has a program problem pop ups, and my printer starts and prints a test page that it wouldn't print a few days ago. I am pretty sure the windoz machine is in sleep mode too.

This is crazee. :ugeek:

Wolfman

Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:14:37 pm

Hi John,

I am not quite sure what this part means "I was trying to launch Chrome and deleting a couple system" ?.

The system error message can be deactivated, take a look near the bottom of the post install guide under "Disable Ubuntu Apport error messages":

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

jowilker

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:12:25 am

I had clicked on the Chrome browser, it was loading, at the same time a couple "system has a program problem" pop ups became visiable, then the printer fired up, attempting to print what it would not the day before.

John

Wolfman

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:29:40 pm

Hi John,

did you disable "Apport"?.

Is the printer working now?. :D

jowilker

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:56:56 pm

Wolfman, Unable to complete disable Apport. Apparently something new has been added. After the change to 0 it jumps to a popup at the bottom of the terminal, giving very different instruction.

Printer is working except from dual boot windoz 7 home in other room that does print from Zorin boot side.

Even works while the windoz pro machine that it is connected to is asleep.

John

Wolfman

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:16:37 pm

Hi John,

if you want complete peace from the annoying error reporter, you can remove it with the following terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove apport

Wolfman

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:56:14 am

Also, can we mark this as solved now John?. :D