This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) WIFI disconnects

Frenchy

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:44:55 pm

Hello All, another Windows fugitive here.
Ever since I downloaded Zorin Ultimate weeks ago I've been fighting a WIFI disconnect
problem. My USB WIFI adapter is an ALFA AWUSO36 with the RTL-8187 chipset. The router
is an Arris rented from Comcast. I thought when I did a full install of Zorin this
problem would go away. No such luck. Comcast suggested a router reset after which I wasent
dumped for about 20 minutes instead of the usual 5 minutes. What I find very odd is that
after being disconnected my SSID is also missing from the list so I can't even try it again
without restarting Zorin. The list is also much smaller than before being disconnected. After
restarting Zorin all is well for another several minutes.
I have no clue what to do except trying another USB WIFI adapter. Any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.
Frenchy

Wolfman

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:33:56 am

Hi Frenchy,

you can start by doing a full system update by running the following terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Restart your PC after updating!.

You should use a network cable when doing this as I suspect that if you have connections problems, it won't interrupt the download/update process.

Madvinegar is the WiFi expert and he will give you more advice when he is online!. :D

Wolfman

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:40:47 am

You can also try this, with your network cable connected, run the following 2 terminal commands (Ctrl + Alt + t) and restart:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

then:

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f

Frenchy

Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:35:59 am

Thanks Wolfman, heres the scoop. I found my Alfa USB adapter which uses the Ralink chipset and that changed
everything. It even allowed me to use the etherlink that had been dead ever since I started using WIFI. Now I
know why but I'll never understand the relationship between a wired in connection and a WIFI signal.
With WIFI I had been getting under 5mbs, now that I'm wired in "forget the WIFI" I'm seeing 30mbs! So all is well,
although it would be nice if I understood something about how this came to pass.

>>You can start by doing a full system update by running the following terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t):

I better read that Linux manual because no idea how to use terminal commands.

Thanks again for the help.............

Wolfman

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:55:46 pm

Hi Frenchy,

good to hear, have marked as solved!. :D