This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Add more workspaces, working?

Hyperion

Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:12:54 pm

Hello yet again people! :)

Thanks for the last support! Using the Z-OS with much love right now! I LOVE everything about it! Except one thing...
whenever i try to add more workspaces to the bare at the bottom, using GNOME as my template design at the OS, well, it wont add more than there already is "4"...

possible to add more Oo? The only thing that DOES work is when i wonna add how many rows it will show the workspaces in...

Hope you can help me as you all did with my installation problem ^^

Thanks!

Mr H ;)

Wolfman

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:29:57 pm

Hi Mr H,

Zorin Menu > System Tools > Preferences > CompizConfig Settings Manager > General > Desktop Size:

CompizConfig Settings Manager_015.jpg

I hope it works!. :D

Hyperion

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:40:36 pm

Thanks alot! Worked! Now i only have one problem left, not sure if it fits in the same category as this but going to ask anyways...

The thing is that i'm a website coder & designer, so i went ahead and installed something called "WingInx" through "WINE"... only problem whenever i try to start the damn program, the first problem is that another window comes up called "WINE System Tray" with the icon, instead of just showing up in the normal tray icon area?

The other problem is that even tho it shows up, after like 4-5 seconds, the "Tray System" window on my desktop just disappears for some reason, and it's annoying as one sick... well.. last word i hope youll know...

Any idea what went wrong? I also installed Skype and one other program via "WINE"... hoping you can save my **** out of this one! Would help ALOT! :D

Thanks in advance! Again! :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:29:59 am

Hi, First off, do a search for 'wine' in Synaptic Package Manager (Applications | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager) - see if wine 1.7 is present, if not you may need to install via the command line:

(Ctrl+ Alt+ T):

Code:
sudo apt-get install wine-1.7

In Windoze at moment so not tried this. As for keeping Wine apps in the tray/panel, this is not possible (regardless of which GNU/Linux distro you are running - and to be fair it will be a Windoz proprietary issue rather than a wine issue in my book anyways!).

As for Skype you should install the GNU/Linux version NOT the windows one - tutorial here:

https://vimeo.com/115626202

Hyperion

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:03:30 pm

Hmm... well do you have an answer to the question about why it just disappears after like 10-11 seconds etc? Just dosen't makes any sence to me if you ask...

And yes, it was the windows Skype i installed, or that is if i remember correct x)

Thanks! Will take a look at the tutorial, maybe it will work! :)

Another thing, i tried to open skype in windows 7 style/mode, stil didn't appear in the icon-tray/notification area... like in the video you posted... dosen't makes sence x)

And ohh, tried the wine terminal install also, the 1.7 version... got this message:

(
E: Unable to locate wine-1.7
E: couldn't find any package by regex 'wine-1.7'
)

ideas? Thanks alot! :)

Wolfman

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:16:03 pm

Hi,

first try installing the Wine 1.7 PPA with this terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command (WIne 1.7 is still considered Beta, you have be warned!):

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wine1.7

Second, Skype has the nasty habit of disappearing from the screen so ONLY MINIMIZE IT and you will still be able to find it!.

When you say the tray window, do you mean the clock section (Indicator 3 Applet)?. See the post install guide for more info on AWN:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

See also:

https://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu

You might want to remove Wine 1.6, but I don't know!.

Hyperion

Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:58:44 pm

Ok now i'm officially angry! Now when i try to hit the "Start WingInx" in the menu added by the WINE program, it tells me in the footer (where the workspaces also are) that it's starting, but nothing happens...

And about the "System Tray"... i ment that a sort of drag-able "System Tray" came on my desktop area where the WingInx icon was, just as it was supposed to, only problem was it disappears after like 5-6 seconds, maybe less, so i have no way of brining it back up? Or do i? Is it normal to disappear like that? Is there another way of brining it back up after it goes down for some reason?

Tell me if there are other ways of showing u guys what i mean, not sure how else to explain it to you with english words ^^'...

but thanks! Hoping for some tips soon again ;)

Mr H ;)

Wolfman

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:18:30 pm

Hi Mr H,

do you have all the necessary packages installed?:

http://winginx.com/en/faq#linux

Have you checked your firewall settings?:

http://winginx.com/en/faq#wontstart

I don't use such software so I don't know what is causing it to misbehave!. :D

Also, I am marking this thread as solved as your original problem was the number of available desktops which is solved!. In the future, please don't start a new question in a thread if the question isn't related to the original problem. :D

If you want to start a new thread, let us know please!. :D