This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] weird file copy problem

Freeatlast

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:57:52 pm

Hope this is correct forum.

I recently installed 9 and is working great. I have an external NTFS drive with some kids videos on it. I can play them fine from there. I copied them over to a FAT32 stick and some don't play from there. Size is the same on both drives. The only difference is when I look at properties audio/video tab, it says unknown or N/A for all the entries on the files that won't play. Some are .flv somre are mp4. Not all are effected. No rhyme or reason. There has to be errors in the copied files but linux isn't catching when it copies over. Any suggestions or ideas on how to better error check while copying?

Wolfman

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:57:41 am

Hi,

I suspect it is because you copied them from a FAT32 stick to an NTFS partition?.

Do you have all the necessary codecs installed for your media players?. :D

Freeatlast

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:22:46 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

I suspect it is because you copied them from a FAT32 stick to an NTFS partition?.

Yes, Zorin's player plays them from the NTFS external drive fine. It is after I transfer them (only a few of the files) onto the USB thumb drive that the files are screwed up. Since it should be copying zeros & ones, this problem should not be possible with standard error correction that has built into OS's for decades. I don't know Linux but I started working with software 35 years ago. Never seen anything like this.

Wolfman

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:03:07 pm

Hi,

did you fully format the USB stick before copying the files over?.

The standard format for USB drives should be FAT32 and not NTFS!. (You only need NTFS if you have files larger than 4GB)

http://www.howtogeek.com/177529/htg-exp ... d-of-ntfs/

http://www.howtogeek.com/73178/what-fil ... usb-drive/

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:53:34 am

I think we need a little more information - the OP clearly stated he copied to a stick with FAT32 but it may need reformatting?

We also don't know the size of the video files:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/257 ... size-limit

Wolfman

Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:18:24 pm

Hi,

sorry that should have read: "I suspect it is because you copied them from a NTFS stick to an FAT32 partition?."

Freeatlast

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:39:14 am

I tried it with a new USB stick (formatted FAT 32) put a couple of videos (200-300 MB) on it from our MAC. They are fine and play on on the Zorin PC from the stick. I just tried putting on a 600 MB video that is on my Zorin PC onto the stick. It copied fine until there was about 0.2 MB left and it hung for a few seconds before finishing. My first clue of a problem was that it didn't show a pic icon like on the HD. I tried to play it from the stick and the player reported that the AVI had a corrupt index that had to be rebuilt. This is only happening with videos. It is DEFINITELY an OS level problem. I just tried it 3 more videos on a different stick. Same problem. OS level copy error detection and correction. Hope Zorin Dev looks into this. NOT good for an OS to have this type of low level error.

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:34:37 pm

It is not a low-level error - I get string error messages from my external USB because it is formatted to NTFS - it can also be an indication if the stick has not been unmounted or ejected properly! ;)

Wolfman

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:30:34 pm

Hi,

have you dome a full system update per the update guide?:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2247

When you created your ISO image, did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9038&p=44232#p44232

Some problems can arise if you didn't create the disk (Live CD) or USB stick correctly!. :D

Freeatlast

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:56:29 pm

have you dome a full system update per the update guide?:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2247

When you created your ISO image, did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9038&p=44232#p44232

Some problems can arise if you didn't create the disk (Live CD) or USB stick correctly!. :D

Everything was done as above. OS image was good and installed fine and has been get FULLY updated since.

NOW, I was just cut-n-pasting some folders with videos from the HD to the external NTFS drive. Folder 1 copied fine, Folder 2 fine, 3,4 ... Folder 5 reported done. I opened Folder 5 on the External drive and it only had 1 video out of the 15 that was supposed to be there. (without as much as an error message) Where is the g_d Dam_ I/O error checking on this OS? Zorin dutifully deleted Folder 5 from the HD after it "pasted" the contents onto the external drive so I lost those other 14 files I believe.

Wolfman

Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:12:54 am

Hi,

what is/was the permission situation of the original files?, do you have permission/are you the file owner?.

Maybe try a copy tool?:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/261768 ... stems.html

Freeatlast

Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:18:21 pm

I reinstalled Zorin. That seems to have solved the copy problemo.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:42:02 pm

Have marked thread as [RESOLVED] as technically it was not solved without having to reinstall! ;)

Freeatlast

Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:27:45 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Have marked thread as [RESOLVED] as technically it was not solved without having to reinstall! ;)

Ok. I'll remember the distinction for the future. :)