This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to replace Zorin with another distro?

bakester17

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:25:11 pm

I'm very new to linux and wanted to try another distro out that my friend demanded me to get called mint. I want to try it out, but I have 0 clue how to replace Zorin with Mint. I did a complete install of Zorin onto my laptop, and it now has no windows functionality to it (at least I think it doesn't). I decided to go the safe route this time and install mint onto a usb with UUI. I understand how to do this on windows, simply open the bios menu and start from USB, but I have 0 clue how to do so with the Zorin OS. Is there any way to easily and quickly replace the OS or boot from USB? Thanks in advance.

Wolfman

Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:41:25 am

Hi,

when you install Mint, use the Something Else Method when it asks you about partitioning:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

The above works for any Ubuntu based OS.

Did you use Unetbootin to create your bootable drive?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7171

See also:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:59:42 am

If you just want to install Mint to your USB use Multi System - this used to be available as a package on its own at version 3 on Softpedia - now it is at 9 and a standalone OS even!

Get version 3 from here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8933&hilit=+MultiSystem#p43425

bakester17

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:49:57 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

when you install Mint, use the Something Else Method when it asks you about partitioning:

Thanks for the help! When I try and install mint though, it simply gives me a .ISO file, and I have 0 clue what to do with such a file on linux. Noob here.

Wolfman

Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:44:08 pm

bakester17

Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:55:31 pm

So I successfully used the USB program thing and installed Mint, but when I reboot it opens the Zorin boot up screen, and to run mint I need to use Unetbootin or something of the sort (I think that is the name). When I launch it, I open the partition program and I have one section where the Zorin stuff is and I can switch between that and Mint where I only have 25 gigs open. What do I do now? I tried to replace them but I see no sort of option, and I cant put the mint partition where the Zorin one is. I tried to run the "install mint" program when I opened mint up in Unetbootin but when it finished installing and told me to restart, it just went to the zorin select screen thing all over again. Very frustrating ;c

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:09:26 pm

Hi, if you can still boot into Zorin, use MultiSystem 3 that I posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8933&hilit=+Multisystem#p43425

as Softpedia no longer have it available on their site - once you have installed MultiSystem to Zorin, format your Unetbootin stick to FAT32 afresh, drag your mint .iso to multisystem interface so that it puts Mint on your USB stick.
Boot off MultiSystem USB stick, and as Mint will be your only distro present it should be the first menu item - boot into that live, delete all partitions using Gparted or whatever Partition Editor comes with Mint and do a Manual install of Mint as you would Zorin.

:D

Wolfman

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:38:49 am