This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

usb driver problems

soma094

Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:55:34 pm

Hello Everyone! Im really new to linux and im having a problem with installing a driver for my usb ethernet adapter. Ive already downloaded the driver package for linux from the original website but i cant get it working. Could somebody help me?

Im running Zorin 9 and this is the only OS on my computer.

Wolfman

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:16:58 pm

Hi,

name and model of said hardware?. :D

soma094

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:27:37 pm

Sorry :) so the name is Delock Adapter USB 2.0 > LAN 10/100 Mb/s http://www.delock.de/produkte/G_61147/merkmale.html this is also the link of the product.
and there is the link of the driver package http://www.delock.de/service/support/driver/61147.html :)

Stephanie

Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:11:30 pm

Hi soma094

Zorin 9 is Kernal 3.13.0

From Delock

Systemvoraussetzungen
• Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1, Mac 10.5, 10.6, Linux Kernel 2.6
• PC oder Notebook mit einem freien USB Port

The driver you linked to is from the year 2008

soma094

Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:26:41 pm

yeah i thought thats gonna be the problem :) thanks anyway i ll keep on searching.

Wolfman

Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:27:34 pm

JUST TO POINT OUT THAT THIS WILL ONLY NORMALLY WORK WITH A USB DONGLE AND NOT A NETWORK ADAPTER BUT IT IS WORTH A TRY!.

Hi,

go here http://www.delock.com/produkte/F_929_Et ... eiber.html and download the file that states "Windows.zip", go to your downloads folder and right click the file and then on "Extract here" or pick a path where it can be safely unpacked (extracted). You will then have a folder called "Windows", open the folder and you will now see 2 folders, one is 32 bit, the other is 64 bit.

Depending on your system, open the appropriate folder and look for the file that ends "inf", now you know the location of that file, open Zorin Menu > System Settings > Administration > Windows Wireless Drivers and run the app and browse for the .inf file now you know where it is.

Do not try and install it using the Windows setup.exe file!.

WIN_XP32_006.jpg

I would then reboot and see if it works!.

See: "Install Windows Driver" here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/43752/ho ... s-drivers/

Hopefully Madvinegar will be able to give you more pointers!. :D

According to the website, it is supported under Linux from kernel 2.6 onwards!.

System requirements
• Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1, Mac 10.5, 10.6, Linux Kernel 2.6
• PC or notebook with a free USB port

Stephanie

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:25:05 pm

Oh thank you Wolfman :D

soma094

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:07:35 pm

well, tried it 3 times doesnt really work :/ i mean i could install the driver but it still doesnt recognise the hardware :( but thanks for the help :) really appreciate it

Wolfman

Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:46:51 pm

Alrighty then,

try the following:

Switch off your PC completely and then connect your adapter if it isn't already IN A DIFFERENT USB SLOT!. Make sure you also have a network cable running to the router!.

Start the PC and boot from your Zorin OS disk or USB stick, once booted; check and see if the device has been seen by the system, try going on the net!.

As I said in my earlier post, the hardware should load with the system, as it is supported upwards from kernel 2.6.

Let us know if that helps. :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:57:26 pm

Just to add to what Wofman has said, USB issues can also affect Windoze users too! One tip posted on another forum is while PC is switched off, remove all usb connections, switch the PSU Power Switch to off and remove the mains plug from the wall socket. (You may also want to - after Earthing yourself - take the cover off the PC and remove the power lead from the PSU to the motherboard connection.) Leave everything for 30 seconds - or go and make a drink of tea or coffee, come back and reconnect everything. USB has a memory issue so if you had something else in that port it will identify that your new equipment is not what was there before! ;) :D

Wolfman

Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:27:27 pm

Hi,

further to what Swarf said,

Is your PC fitted out with USB 2.0 or does it only have USB 1.0, this might be the reason why it isn't working as the adapter is USB 2.0 only?. :D

How old and what make and model is the PC?. :D