This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] VGA driver for S3 Chrome 430

Yudistira

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:09:38 am

Hallo, I am interested with Zorin OS 9, when when I try the live cd I got even more attracted by its speed, its UI. and then I installed the OS to my hard disk. The installation went smooth as any "ubuntu" distros I had tried. But, upon finishing installation and booting to my new installation, I noticed the display resolution is ONLY 640x480 pixel. and I get the any good than this.. It seems the OS recognized the VGA driver as "Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits)" whatever it means.
My VGA card is S3 Chrome 430 ULP (I know it is very unusual but my laptop is quite old :)
>> xrandr shows only 640x480
>> apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-S3
>> I tried to LTS Enablement Stacks
>> try to install s3g-Chrome4xx_5xx-14.05.02-x86_64-new_kernel.tar.bz2 from opendriver site, but the installation stops with error

I tried to look information in the internet, but still no luck up until now.

Is there anyone can help me, I really really want to install and try out Zorin OS :'(

Thank you very much all,
Regards

Wolfman

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:17:35 am

Hi,

run dpkg per this guide (a network cable is required) and then restart per the guide and see if you get a better resolution!. :

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

RESTART YOUR PC, DO NOT CLICK ON RESUME AFTER RUNNING DPKG!. :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:51:39 pm

Hi, I think your S3 card might be the issue I'm afraid - your alternative would be to boot off a USB stick in live mode with Persistence (which means data you produce is saved for another session. Failing that try Zorin Lite or failing that LXLE :D

Yudistira

Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:35:18 pm

@Wolfman : Thank you for the tips...

This how it works for me :
> Boot to Advance boot -> Recovery Mode -> FailsafeX -> it will ask for one time only "Lower Resolution" (but 1024x768 is much More Resolution than previous 640x480, even if it is slightly blurred :-) -> Resume boot
> the problem is everytime I booted from Normal Mode, the resolution falls back to 640x480
> Copy or Rename "xorg.conf.failsafe" to "xorg.conf" in "/etc/X11/" folder solves the problem
> Now I can boot from Normal Zorin Boot and still get 1024x768, even with sharper display than FailsafeX mode
> The graphic is now recognized as "Vesa"

Thank you very much for your suggestions,
Thank you Zorin Forum.
I am a Happy Zorin OS 9.0 user :D

Regards.

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:08:48 pm

Great Stuff - and thanks for sharing your solution! 60 blue jewels to you and another 60 to Wolfman! :D Have marked thread as [SOLVED]. :D

Wolfman

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:28:27 am

Cool! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: