This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Desktop disappeared

goldfish173

Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:48:33 pm

I tried KDE Plasma Desktop amd when i uninstalled it the uninstallation took a lot of system files with it. I've managed to get Gnome and Gnome Classic working but in the Zorin sessions (default and no effects) there is just the wallpaper and no panels or menu dialogues etc. Have tried several methods of getting a desktop back but so far been unsuccessful. Does anyone know whether there is a method particular to Zorin OS9 so that i get a desktop back? At the moment i'm working in Gnome session but i miss Zorin! Thx. :cry:

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:19:43 pm

Hi, if worst comes to the worst you can always reinstall after backing up any critical data. This may show you what has been removed:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-lin ... og-viewer/

But let's first take a look at Synaptic (Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic) - you will be asked for your login password to get 'root' privileges. Search for Zorin - check mark any packages and 'Apply' the changes.

Afterward, close Synaptic, open a Terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
suod apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Then make sure you have a wired connection, make sure that your sources for updates is set to 'Main Server', reboot but select the second Menu item in 'GRUB' then click on Advanced recovery mode and select 'DPKG' at end, turn off the computer and reboot.

Keep us posted! :D

goldfish173

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:48:55 pm

Thx for replying so quicklly Swarfendor. But your suggestion didn't work. This is so frustrating because i KNOW that everything is there except for there being no blasted Zorin desktop! I don't want to have to reinstall because i know that everything IS there. But if i have to reinstall then i have to and it serves me right.... :roll:

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:19:46 am

Hi the same thing happened to me after I installed 'gnome-ful'! Basically this is the best advice I can offer to any forum member - if you try and install a package and you see a substantial amount of apps, libraries etc listed as going to be remove DON'T install the package! ;) :D

Wolfman

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:25:38 am

Hi,

start in recovery mode and activate "Network" (a network cable is required), then go to "root" and enter the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kde-full

Restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del, don't click on resume.

I cannot say whether this will work but it is worth a try!.

See the update guide for more info and other possibilities to recover your desktop:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

One command you can try is the following:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -f

Let us know if it helps. :D

goldfish173

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:02:21 am

Thx Wolfman. I tried no end ot things to try to get my desktop back - even ending up with Ubuntu 14.04 - but in the end i cut my losses (and time) by reinstalling.

Wolfman

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:23:26 pm

Did you install "Kubuntu" on top of Zorin OS per chance?, that would cripple any Zorin OS system!.

Have marked as solved!. :D

goldfish173

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:06:04 pm

I think i must have inadvertently installed KDE over Zorin OS. Hence the crippling.

Wolfman

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:22:16 pm

the package "kde-full" is okay but not the full Kubuntu desktop packages!. :D

goldfish173

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:21:27 am

I thought i had only installed kde-full and when i purged it the package seemed to take a lot of my desktop files with it!

Wolfman

Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:13:14 pm

Purging can cause all sorts of problems, if you want to remove a package, use the following remove command:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove kde-full

(Replace kde-full with the package name of the app you want to remove!).

DO NOT USE THE PURGE COMMAND AS IT REMOVES ALL PACKAGES ASSOCIATED WITH THE MAIN APP YOU ARE REMOVING THIS INCLUDES BITS YOU MAY STILL NEED!. :D

goldfish173

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:14:58 pm

Ah. Good to kno thx.