This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Partition setup

Volksvegan

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:29:55 pm

First off, let me say that this forum is great and has been very helpful!
Okay - eeepc 900 with 4GB SSD period; soldered in. I followed the excellent guide to installing 9 Lite on an eeepc 701 from here (as it has the same size SDD), just skipped the part about resizing the screen. It worked great! Everything runs fine, but no room at all for updates or anything else. I read that a member here installed Zorin Lite on a 16GB class 10 SDHC card in his eeepc 900, ran it from there and it worked. Now finally for the question - when I get to the part in the installation where I manually set up the partitions, what setup and format should I use on the SDHC card and on the SDD? Detailed instructions, please, as I'm very new to this :? , and many thanks!

Wolfman

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:32:57 pm

Hi,

complete partition guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Volksvegan

Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:45:46 pm

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:06:34 pm

Hi, You will be struggling with 4 Gb regarding your SSD - have managed to put on EEEpc901 with 10 Gb split as 3.7 Gb Partition 1 SSD with 6.3 Partition SSD - these rigs would come with XP FAT32 and then freeze after updates and no way of putting primary on the bigger partition - but you can with GNU/Linux! If you are not going to store a lot of video or humungous data I would place your system on the Flash Memory. If you can, install first to a USB, run that in Live mode and format your SSD of 4 Gb like this:

1. Create a '/boot' partition of 512 Mb at the start of your 4 Gb SSD and format to 'ext2' - create an extended partition on your SSD and format to ext2 also and mark as '/home'

2. On your flash drive of 16 Gb, create a Primary Patition of 10 Gb, formatted to 'ext2' and mark it '/' - this will be where the system will live to boot from. Make this partition the one where you put the Bootloader (GRUB) on.

3. Create a 'swap area' after the 10 Gb of '/' - you don't have to define the file system for this - but just make it 2048 Gb in size.

4. Whatever is left of the flash drive, format to FAT32 so you can save data to that partition to access from a Windows machine if you wanted to.

Keep us posted! :D

Volksvegan

Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:27:51 pm

Perfect! The card will be coming in next week and I'll post what transpires when all is said and done. This little machine is really just for trying out different software, etc. on before putting it on my OTHER eeepc, which is a 900A with a 16GB hard drive. Zorin Lite 9 runs really solidly on that, so I wanted a testing ground (the 900) to use as a learning experience; that way if I completely bork it, I'm only out the $20 I paid for it (like new!) and a lot of time (and no harm done to the 900A) ;) . I'm a relative newbie to Linux, but really, really like this distro on the eee.
Many thanks for your help!

Wolfman

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:22:37 am

Oops, only just noticed you want to do this on a 4GB drive!, you might be better off using an external drive:

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2013/10/23/ho ... ard-drive/

Volksvegan

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:08:20 pm

That's a good step-by-step guide (just what people like me need!); I can follow instructions well :D .
Yes, I'm planning on installing to an SDHC card with the partitions given above by Swarfendor (which seems like the perfect setup for this eee). The guide you provided will be very helpful - thanks!

Wolfman

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:12:49 pm

Let us know how you get on so we can mark this as solved when you are done!. :D

Volksvegan

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:32:36 pm

Okay - well, not good news, I'm afraid. I followed the partition layout (except on #3, I assumed you meant the swap to be 2048 MB rather than GB); I think I did everything correctly....set the large partition on the card as the place to load, but somehow it doesn't recognise the partition. The install gets right to the very end, when it tries to install the grub, then I get the message: "Executing 'grub-install/dev/sdb1' failed. This is a fatal error" (I love reading "fatal error" :( ). On restart, I get "error: no such partition. Entering rescue mode.... grub rescue>" and there it stays. I tried it twice with the same results. I know the DVD is okay because I've used it to install on two other systems. I'm pretty sure I formatted everything correctly; but did I miss something?
Any ideas? :?:

Volksvegan

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:39:56 pm

Actually, I solved my own problem! :D First off, I needed to set the installation target as the drive, not the partition (I should have noted this from the guide given earlier). Then I used a bit of logic. My eeepc 900A has a 16GB drive and runs great, so I copied the exact partitions from that and left the SSD free for now. At restart, I entered the F2 setup and changed the order of drives and boot. It worked like a charm and is now booted back up and loading updates. :!:

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:42:52 pm

Great going! Will mark as [SOLVED] - and thanks for sharing your solution - it will help others! :D 60 blue jewels to you sir! :D

Volksvegan

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:43:39 pm

Ma'am, actually! :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:45:13 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Volksvegan

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:09:11 am

Kinda hard to tell from my avatar, LOL! :lol:

Stephanie

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:56:18 am

Nice to see another lady here Volksvegan :D