This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(RESOLVED) Basic info on kdenlive

ThetaBeast

Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:04:17 am

Well I just need to take a small segment from a DVD and see if I can put it on my brother's Android tablet. He is developmentally disabled and he LOVES a certain clip from a music video. I want him to be able to just click the icon and play it. I bet the segment is less than 3 minutes. So I put kdenlive 0.9.6-5ubuntu1 on my old rig that has Zorin Lite on it, and I can't do a darned thing. I have no experience with video. I get a message 'your clip does not match current project profile. No existing profile found to match the clip's properties. Clip size 720 x 480. fps: 20'. Even if I go Project>Adjust Profile to Clip I can't get anywhere, I guess because 720 x 480 isn't on the pull-down list in Profile. I assume I create a new project, find the VOB segment that I want and add it in the project tree, and then play it in the clip monitor. With setting at HD 720p, the best I can get to play in the clip monitor is a very blurry, barely recognizable clip. I'm not even at the rendering stage yet. What am I missing? What mode is a standard DVD? 720? 1080? Is there something special I need to do to use the VOB file? I tried openshot and it totally hangs, can't do a thing. I can try better hardware but not until next weekend,

TB

Wolfman

Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:09:29 pm

Hi TB,

use VLC to play such clips, kdenlive thinks you are trying to start/work on a video project!. :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:53:58 pm

kdenlive is quite heavy for Zorin Lite - take a look at Pitivi - a very simple Video Editor that was dropped by major distros but still runs perfectly well on Trisquel - another Ubuntu derivative, i.e., Trisquel). Pitivi should be in Synaptic - not sure if in Software Centre/er :D

ThetaBeast

Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:03:49 pm

thanks, guys. Well, I think I am creating a video project. I'm sure I will need to edit the file, probably just to shorten it. I went ahead and pulled in pitivi; it was in the Software Center. I guess I need to back up; how do I save the DVD files to my HDD? Do I need to convert VOB files, or can pitivi use those as is? Thanks, I'm clueless on this,

TB

ThetaBeast

Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:21:33 pm

trying acidrip now, will advise if I can't figure it out,

TB

Anonymous

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:42:36 pm

The easiest I could tell ya how without any type of video editing/recording background from a computer.
Install [ Kazam ] from software center.....
Play the video from your desktop......
Use [ Kazam ] to capture/record the specific size screen you want to adopt. [ MP4 ]
Andoid doesn't need to be large to adopt a decent screen record of a video.

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:40:58 pm

Shoot, well done Gizmuntu - forgot about Kazam! :D

ThetaBeast

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:08:03 am

Thanks, all. Due to some mapping issues on the only Zorin machine available to me at the moment, I went with Windows and NCH free software, and got the 1:22 clip done...just happy to get it done! I can get jiggy with these Linux tools later. Just gotta get this thing to my bro right now,

TB

Wolfman

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:25:48 pm

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:04:24 pm

Have amended to 'RESOLVED' as we (the forum) did not provide the 'solution'! :D