This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Zorin update screen

Hennie

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:54:24 pm

Every now and then an Update Control-screen pops up telling me that updated programs are available. Today I was informed that there are security updates, size 6,8 Mb. After responding with "yes" those updates were installed. The problem I have been facing recently is that the same popup screen shows itself after the download without the description of a content although at the bottom it says that 1,9 Mb will be downloaded. That is already something I don't understand but after responding with "yes" I have the impression, because a bar is filled, that something is happening. At the end of this process I get into a loop because the same screen pops up again and again. I can only solve this by clicking on the right upper cross to let this screen disappear.
Can someone tell me why I get the second popup screen and why it does not disappear "smoothly"?

Wolfman

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:02:22 pm

Hi Hennie,

are your software sources set to "Main"?, see the update guide for more info:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

You can change the software download location if you need too!. :D

Hennie

Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:14:03 pm

Hi Wolfman,
In my Software & Updates screen the following 3 items are checked with their descriptions:
- Main
- Universe
- Restricted

Should I uncheck the last two lines?

Wolfman

Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:22:42 pm

Hi Hennie,

no, leave those two alone and only change your software sources download location instead per the update guide link I posted earlier!. :D (From "Main" to something else!).

Hennie

Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:36:15 am

Hi Wolfman,
I have gone through your advised procedure and I am now anxiously waiting for an update coming in and hope to see that there is a recovery of my problem. Thank you very much so far.

Wolfman

Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:33:14 am

Keep us posted!. :D

Hennie

Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:20:15 pm

Hi Wolfman,
A few minutes ago a new Zorin security update arrived. Unfortunately after downloading that second screen pops up suggesting that 1.9 Mb can be downloaded. Then I arrive in a loop again. Do you possibly have another suggestion?

Wolfman

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:48:46 pm

Hi Hennie,

open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following command then restart if anything updates:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

If you still have problems; you can try running the following command and see if that fixes the problem.

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f

If changing the software sources location didn't work for you, try changing it again to a different location!. :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:59:00 pm

Also check another possible solution here (Zorin is a 'fork' of Ubuntu):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2267953

Hennie

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:00:09 pm

Hi Wolfman and Swarfendor437,
Thank you for your help. The problem seems to be solved as there have been two updates without the second popup screen informing me again about updates. The action "Code: Select all"....."sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f" was already sufficiently succesful. Great help.

Best regards Hennie

Wolfman

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:37:46 pm

Hi Hennie,

great news, have marked as solved!. :D