This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Windows Network is not seeing Zorin 9

mick94

Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:50:57 am

Hello, new to the forum, new to Zorin-os 9 and my first post is asking for help.
I have searched through the forums and the internet but cannot find an answer to my 'niggling' network problem.

I have a Windows 8.1, two Windows 7 computers and a network printer all on a private home network, no passwords for the Network.
I have a laptop with Zorin 9 installed which connects to the network wirelessly.

From the laptop, I can print, I can access the internet, I can see all the Windows computers with their shared folders and I am able to tranfer files to and from them.
From any of the Windows computers I cannot see the laptop in their Network folders. (I have set Folder Sharing for Documents, Downloads and Pictures on the laptop)

I have rebooted all machines several times after making changes, and in different orders at other times, but to no avail. I have also installed Samba but that has made no difference, so

I uninstalled it again. I have also disabled my Windows firewall which made no difference. My router shows the laptop is connected to the Network by displaying its ip address.

After all that, if I type the ip address of the laptop in the Run... box of Windows and click ok, it then opens Windows Explorer with the laptop shown in the Network folder by its ip

address and the three shared folders that I set earlier. I can share files with all machines 'til my hearts content.

The question is, which option have I not set properly so that the laptop shows automatically in the Network folder without me having to do it manually?

thanks for looking

mick.

Wolfman

Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:09:06 am

Hi Mick,

I don't do Samba myself but you can start here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Samba

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Samba ... erverGuide

Let us know if it helps!. :D

mick94

Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:39:27 pm

Thank you for the links. I am still working at resolving the issue. I am sure it is at the Windows end as I can see all shares in Windows if I call up the laptop manually (attachment). It just will not list the laptop in the Network folder of Windows until I do that.

network.jpg

Wolfman

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:50:40 am