This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Netgear WNA3100 frequently disconnecting internet

MrNuminix

Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:04:19 pm

Hi, I am having issues with my Netgear WNA3100 disconnecting from the internet. The network connection will stay active, but it will no longer communicate externally until I restart the computer, then it will do the same after downloading another 30mb. I've had this thing working on Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and Fedora with no issues before through using ndiswrapper and the Windows Wireless Cards front-end. I'm about to re-install Zorin just in case for some reason it was a bad install, but does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fix this? Originally, before it timed out the first time and halted my updates, it told me that there was around 2.3GB of updates available. I am running Zorin OS 9 Ultimate. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Wolfman

Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:59:05 am

Hi,

did you follow this advice which might account for your problem if you didn't?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4771

You can also try running DPKG per the update guide and see if that helps:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

A NETWORK CABLE IS REQUIRED FOR DPKG TO WORK!. :D

Let us know if it helps. :D

Henriolavi

Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:16:08 am

Hi

I made a complete upgrade of home wireless network according to following picture.

Home wireless net.jpg

There are two new routers and a new 4G 50 Mbps line. At the same time I tested WIFI USB adapters which of them works best out of the box with Zorin 9. I used A-Link's, Edimax', Netgear's, and TP-Link's adapters. Netgear did not even detect the net's existence, Edimax' and TP-Link's adapters detected both nets, worked better, but both had some problems to open the pages or interrupted now and then to load or even crashed few times the os. Best worked A-Link's WNU-A(L) adapter with both routers out of the box without any type of problems or installation of additional drivers with Zorin 9.

http://www.a-link.com/shop/product/wnu-a-l-19-90-25

Additional benefits there are that it is reasonably priced and have a 5bBi antenna to get good signal even from a longer distance to the routers.

USB WIFI adapter.jpg

MrNuminix

Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:21:37 am

Hey everyone, just to give a quick update. It looks like I was able to fix it by finding older Windows drivers. So, I was using the newest drivers from the Netgear website after I install it in WINE. However, I was able to track down the WINXP drivers that I had used once before and after applying them in ndiswrapper, the disconnects stopped happening. I really do appreciate everyone's response here and if anyone else experiences the same issue after downloading the drivers straight from Netgear, try doing what I did and search for the WinXP drivers. Thanks again! :)

Wolfman

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:20:37 am

Nice one, I will mark it as solved!. :D

Henriolavi

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:23:49 am

Hi

Nice to hear that you got your Netgear working. I am so lazy to search for drivers.