This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Root directory gone

paperhawk

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:06:24 am

Hi,

I have a
1.) Sony Vaio Pro 13 model number SVP1321GGXBI,
2.) 8GB of RAM,
3.) Zorin is the only OS on there
4.) The entire hard drive is used.
5.) Intel HD Graphics 4400
6.) Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260
7.) Tried Zorin live before installation.
8.) Zorin 9.1 Core

and I have an issue. At random instances, Zorin will act as if I have no "/" directory. I cannot "ls", I can "cd" for some reason and I can connect to the internet if chrome or something is already open but I cannot open a new instance of chrome. All the icons at the bottom right side of the screen where the time is are little files with red X's in them. I tried looking this problem up online but could not find anything. Please advise.

Thank you.

Wolfman

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:40:34 am

Hi,

do a full system update by running "DPKG" per the update guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Keep us posted!. :D

paperhawk

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:07:34 pm

Hi Wolfman,

Thank you for responding to the post. That was one of the first things that I did when I was trying to solve the issue (running dpkg and restarting). As for the second link, I installed Zorin off a bootable USB. I have also noticed that my issue doesn't exist when I have my trash empty. I'm not sure why that would have anything to do with it but I figured it might help it determining what the problem may be.

Wolfman

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:00:56 pm

Hi,

run this terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t) first and restart to see if it fixes the problem:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

If it doesn't, run this command and restart again as you may have a broken install:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -f

paperhawk

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:50:23 pm

I ran the aforementioned commands and had no problems until today again. Could this be a RAM issue or a hard drive failure?

Wolfman

Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:59:45 am

Hi,

that is possible?, another question, when you say "root directory", do you mean you cannot open things as root or your home folder has vanished?. Please elaborate. :D

Anonymous

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:07:10 am

Paperhawk :

I've seen this type problem many a time !!!!
If you have anything of importance on the hard drive in question.
I wouldn't waist anytime backing up the files of importance.
Recommendation : Replace Hard Drive :
Sooner/Later You will probably see this on boot [ No Bootable Devices Error ]
Just to be sure........
Hiren's Boot CD ....is a very [ Handy Tool ] !!!!
For testing [ bad sectors ] on your hard drive !!!!

Link : http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Reference Link : http://www.lc-tech.com/pc/warning-signs/

paperhawk

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:28:40 pm

To Wolfman: Allow me to elaborate. What I mean is that the / directory seems to be gone. All icons turn into files with red x's in them, I cannot open terminal, I cannot go into any folders as it says they don't exist, and occasionally it drops to shell. Also, I've noticed that memtest doesn't run.

To Gizmuntu: I have an SSD so some of the symptoms don't apply, but some of the signs are certainly there. The other problem is that I don't have a CD drive and the instructions for a bootable USB seem to be for windows. Can I create a bootable USB for Zorin? I'm not too familiar with Hiren's Boot CD.

Anonymous

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:04:27 pm

Paperhawk :

Using Unebootin via Zorin OS for either !!!! [ ZOS/Hiren's ]

Wolfman's Guide : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7171

Hiren's Boot CD after downloaded...needs to be extracted. [ Unzipped ]
Then in the folder you will find the ISO itself that can be applied to use via USB Bootable.
If you decide to use Hiren's....just boot via USB.....
Once the first window opens up.....
You will see the line that says [ DOS APPS ]....
In there you will find a section that says [ Hard Drive Tools ]......
In that section there are several tools to give your HD an [ EKG ] amongst other tests.
The applications are very easy to use.

Note :
Hiren's Boot CD is a lifesaver regardless if you need it now or later.
Once you boot up Hiren's...you will know then... what I mean by a lifesaver !!!! :D :D
You could spend half a day just going through all of the goodies !!!! :lol: :lol:

Wolfman

Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:55:09 pm

Hi,

as Gizmuntu has already suggested, use Unetbootin and redo your install, BE SURE TO FULLY FORMAT THE USB STICK TO FAT32 WIPING ALL DATA FROM THE STICK!.

Are you logging in as the normal user or in the guest account?. Take a look at the login window, there should be two accounts, one for your normal user account and the other for guest, if you only see guest, press the arrow keys, left/right/up/down, it doesn't matter!. :D