This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't update because boot partition is out of space.

emcpwns

Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21:40 pm

Whenever I try to run updates, it fails and shows this dialogue...

From what I can tell, there's an update to the boot loader, but the boot partition wasn't created with enough space to account for future updates (probably my fault, though I'm pretty sure I went with the installer defaults). Unfortunately, I have no idea how I can re-size the boot partition, especially since the rest of the drive is encrypted. IRC, this has been a problem for multiple months.

Please help! :D

Wolfman

Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:06:55 pm

Hi,

take a look at the partition guide for more info on how you should setup your partitions:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Let us know if it helps although I recommend you start from scratch!. :D

W_A_Watson_II

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:15:40 pm

I've just hit this on a PC with a less than 3 month fresh install of Zorin! this does not give me a good feeling for switching to Ubunti! Looks like the only fix is to wipe the system and start over.

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:28:58 am

Hi, I would like to know the size of your boot partition and by that I mean the 'root' partition labelled '/' as this is what the system boots from. Did you create the partition manually or did you let Zorin decide? Always better to do manual partitioning if possible. Can you post a picture of your partition layout using Gparted and Screenshot and post back here please?

In the meantime you could follow advice given here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/171209/m ... -to#171225

W_A_Watson_II

Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:47:50 pm

The /dev/sda1 ext2 /boot patition is 243 MB per Disc Info, from df -h command it shows Size of 236 M and 205M Used. I don't remember telling it to give it a spacific size, but did tell it to use LVM for the rest of the drive.

I was finaly able to get it to update by using command promt commands in two parts:

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:31:17 pm

OK, the danger with upgrade is that it could have upgraded to Ubuntu release instead of Zorin - the second command SHOULD be:

Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
which looks at apps that might need upgrading following the install of a new kernel. ;)

W_A_Watson_II

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:26:26 pm

Thanks, so for so good. How should I have done the update then?

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:10:58 pm

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
;) :D

W_A_Watson_II

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:10:48 pm

Sorry, how should I have done the update from the Terminal to get Zorin not Ubuntu Update?

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:32:48 am

That is the correct commands to update Zorin - where you need to check is:

Menu | System Tools | Administration | Software Updates - on the window that opens, wait until it has finished processing checks then click on the 'Settings' button and on the TAB that opens, make sure that 'Check for New LTS releases of Ubuntu' or similar wording and the box should be set to 'Never'. ;) :D

W_A_Watson_II

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:10:14 pm

OK, Thnaks. I did not have a 'Check for New LTS releases of Ubuntu' or similar wording line or box on that "Updates" Tab that opened.

I did hit the "Not enough free disk space" wall again today. It wanted to "113.9 MB will be downloaded" for the updates.

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:55:49 pm

Have you removed earlier kernels that might be taking up space? ;) :D

W_A_Watson_II

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:33:39 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Have you removed earlier kernels that might be taking up space? ;) :D

To my knowledge yes, I've done the searches and there wern't any old ones. I will re-run the "apt-get autoremove" command and see what I get.

No luck, Update says it needs 82.1 M of free space, it needs an additional 21.8M.

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:48:19 pm

W_A_Watson_II

Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:03:43 am

OK, removed all but latest three with: sudo apt-get purge linux-image-3.13.0-{32,87,88}-generic

And it worked, Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:26:26 am

No problemo friend! ;) :D