This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Battery Indicator

crazyporscheman

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:03:27 pm

Hey Folks,

I have a small issue with the battery/charging indicator running in Zorin OS 9 Ultimate.

After my last install, I restarted my laptop and did the initial software update. Once all the downloads and the installation ran (no errors) and I rebooted the machine it booted as expected with all of the indicators in the bottom panel looking correct. After about 30 seconds the indicator for the battery is replaced by a blue outlined square with a question mark in it. If I unplug the power cord, it looks correct in the shape of a battery and when plugging the cord back in it looks normal for about 20-30 seconds. Also, when clicking on the icon (either the correct looking icon or the square with question mark) all of the appropriate options for power management and charging info are present.

Is there something I can do to solve this little annoyance?

Thanks in advance for the help!!!!!!!

Wolfman

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:20:44 am

Hi,

the problem might be theme related, try changing your desktop theme to something else, see the post install guide and the theming section:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Have you fully updated per the update guide?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:13:24 pm

Or ... you could install Cairo-Dock and activate the 'Power Manager' add-on:

Cairo-Dock configuration_020.jpg

crazyporscheman

Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:40:24 pm

Sorry for the extended wait for my reply...

First I switched between all of the themes and experienced the same deal with the battery indicator as noted above.

Then I did the full update by running "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" and then "sudo reboot" and switched between all of the themes and still the same results.

I have not tried installing Cairo Dock and am kind of thinking I may be able to fix this without adding yet another app to get something to run that should work out of the box. I may end up doing that but would much rather prefer a fix rather than a work-around.

Thanks so far for the help!!!!!!

Wolfman

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:32:54 am

Hi,

how did you install?, did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

I ask because some small problems arise as a direct result of not following the advice shown in the link above!.

crazyporscheman

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:32:27 pm

Hey Wolfman,

Thanks for the help!!! The issue may lie in the way I installed. I initially used Mint along with the MintStick utilities to attempt to make my bootable USB stick but it didn't work so I used MultiSytem to create my media. I will try using UNetBootin and see if there is any change. I will post the outcome.

Thanks again,
Tim

Wolfman

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:38:47 pm

Hi Tim,

take a look here as it may be of use to you:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7171&p=34209#p34209

crazyporscheman

Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:17:28 pm

Well...no success one hand but on the troubleshooting side I found the problem!

This past week my mouse puked on me so I grabbed another mouse I had sitting around. I noticed in the Power Settings that the battery level of the "new" mouse is shown and when clicking on the icon in the panel it is shown there as well where as with the old mouse I never saw this. The "new" mouse is a Logitech M215 wireless (not Bluetooth but with the small USB receiver). During my last re-install, I unplugged the mouse to use that port for the USB Drive and used the touch pad for the install. Post-install I plugged in the mouse and the icon went wonky again. So, there it is.....there is something in the power management and the use of this mouse that is doing it. Not sure where to go from here but at least I (we) know what the issue is.

I'm going to be getting a brand new mouse this week and will see if the problem repeats and will let the forum know.

Thanks for all the help Wolfman!!!!!! You rock!!!!!!!

Wolfman

Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:19:29 am

Alrighty then, I always use a cable USB mouse on my laptop so have never come across the problem.

I will mark this as solved and Happy Easter :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: