This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Help, no clock or internet

ZorinAnonUser

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:53:09 pm

Hi,

I've used Zorin on my personal desktops for 3 years. It usually works great, plays videos well and has a familiar interface.

I am currently using Zorin 9 (trusty) GNOME 3.8.4 Kernel 3.13.0-48-generic (#80-Ubuntu) GCC 4.8 (x86_64-linux-gnu) Xorg 1.15.1
I have a 2000 MHz AMD Sempron processor with 4 GB RAM and dual displays.

In the past month, sometimes the clock loads bottom right taskbar, sometimes it doesn't. I am not aware of a cmd to start it up.

For the past week, the internet will not connect on its own on startup, even though I have a wired connection and the lights blink. I must go to terminal and type "sudo dhclient eth0" and will have connection after this. It will stay connected even after suspending the OS and signing back in, but (when visible) the taskbar will tell me that I am not connected.

Is no one else having this issue? or Maybe no one else can connect to report it?

Wolfman

Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:46:10 pm

Hi,

first change your desktop theme as this is a common cause of pain in the bottom panel!. See the themes section here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

If the network fails again, click on "Enable Network" and take the tick out, wait a few seconds and enable it again, do a full system update with your software sources download location set to "Main", see the update guide for more info:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:18:22 pm

ZorinAnonUser

Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:33:47 am

Thanks guys.

Changing the theme in Awn settings didn't bring my clock back. i like the ZorinLight 1.0 by Zorin anyhow.

Not sure if there is a router issue, but this system always worked fine before. Since I am unable to see the connection icon at the bottom of the screen, running the dchlient command seems to be easiest for me. I learned that one from using another distro on a laptop after waking up out of sleep mode.

I was hoping there was a command I could type which would launch the clock and other taskbar icons, and that the network icon would show the correct state, and that the internet would connect automatically. Either I've been hit with malware or a virus, or a recent update fudged something idk but this is a new situation for me after years of usage

Wolfman

Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:12:28 am

Hi,

how did you create your boot media for your install?, did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:28:26 am

Or you could install Cairo-Dock DE:

CLOCK.JPG

The above screenshot is with the clock detached but you could have it in the bottom or top dock - the only way I can get network showing if I don't use 'indicator-3' applet which can be buggy.

You can get clock this way:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983

But not possible I have found to install network indicator - only get that with Cairo-Dock DE.

:D

ZorinAnonUser

Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:42:32 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

how did you create your boot media for your install?, did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Usually I use Brasero like that, i have used dd if/of before... but this particular install was done well over 6 months ago, the bugs are something new. i've noticed many updates over the past few weeks, which makes me think it's something like that.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:41:35 pm

Hi,

check your software settings and make sure that your software sources are set to "Main":

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

ZorinAnonUser

Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:00:08 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Or you could install Cairo-Dock DE:

CLOCK.JPG

The above screenshot is with the clock detached but you could have it in the bottom or top dock - the only way I can get network showing if I don't use 'indicator-3' applet which can be buggy.

You can get clock this way:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983

But not possible I have found to install network indicator - only get that with Cairo-Dock DE.

:D

yeah, i was just typing "date" in a terminal, but I just put a clockradio next to my monitor and it doesn't stop showing the time at all. getting used to manually connecting the dhclient... looks like i'll be searching for a new distro since this one decided to just c*** out for no reason. absolute garbage. i can't just nav to a dir and tell it to open the program/applet to display a clock???? stupid machine can't display whether it's connected or not??? forget a new theme or checking some obscure system settings that i've never changed, might as well be using microsoft or leapfrog for all this is worth

Wolfman

Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:06:56 am

Hi,

another take on the update thing, try changing your software sources download location to something other than what you are currently using, then use the following terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

You can also try the following command which might be better suited to your needs:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -f

What is your partition layout like?, please post a screenshot. :D