This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Custom URL/Protocol handlers

dpannone

Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:57:52 am

Has anyone ever successfully, from start to finish, accomplished a custom url handler. :?:

I have spent a week following tutorials that all seem to be missing parts that actually make them work..

So say in firefox i have a page with a bunch of "xyz://data/moredata" links.

I want in firefox when I click those links for xdg-open or however firefox does it to execute a bash script assigned to protocol "xyz://" and pass "data/moredata" as the first arg.

It seems like this should be easy but I can't do. I have tried .desktop files, gconf-editror-2, about:config entries.... none of them get me to the finish line.

Does anyone know how or ever accomplished this in Zorin? I'm at the end of my rope on this one. :cry:

Wolfman

Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:57:13 am

Hi D,

try this, I have no idea as I don't do it but its from the Mozilla dev site so they must know right?. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/W ... l_handlers

Did you check your other thread, I left something for you?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9156

dpannone

Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:43:13 pm

Hey Wolfman I did try the javascript method described in that link, mozilla threw a security exception that I didn't drill into... I'll make another run it at though and post results here. "They must know" :)