This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problems Installing to an External Hard Drive

RandomASCII

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:54:53 am

I was using a tool called Unetbootin to instal the .iso file for Zorin to my external hard drive, only to find out that the letter for my drive does not show up in the list of drives that I can install the .iso file to. Formatting the Hard drive didn't help, neither did creating an entirely new partition. I have a few ideas for why this should be happening. I think it may be due to the NTFS format system of the drive. Though, I doubt this one, as I had the option to instal it to my primary (c://) drive, which uses the same formatting system. I also think that the particular letter (for some reason, the letter assigned was "j") may have something to do with it, as it's a very uncommon letter for a drive. Finally, I noticed while trying to get Zorin working on my USB drive to make sure everything works, I noticed that my external hard drive seemed to be categorized with my CD and floppy(this is an old computer I'm using) drive in sub categories for the boot order. I worry that the reason the tool isn't working is because my system thinks my external hard drive is an external disk drive.

Though, all three of my theories could be horribly wrong. That's why I'm asking what the problem might be and how to fix it. I'll try to provide any additional information that might be necessary upon request.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:55:19 am

Hi,

when using Unetbootin, you must fully format the drive to FAT32 not NTFS!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7171

RandomASCII

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:17:04 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

when using Unetbootin, you must fully format the drive to FAT32 not NTFS!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7171

Here's the problem, I can't. It will only let me format it in NTFS and exFAT. It also doesn't make sense to me that another NTFS drive can be selected for instalation.

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:41:25 pm

Hi, do you have access to any other machine with GNU/Linux on it? If so you might do better with MultiSystem - I uploaded the package here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8933&hilit=+MultiSystem#p43425

Install tutorial video here:

https://vimeo.com/104187694

:D

RandomASCII

Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:29:08 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, do you have access to any other machine with GNU/Linux on it? If so you might do better with MultiSystem - I uploaded the package here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8933&hilit=+MultiSystem#p43425

Install tutorial video here:

https://vimeo.com/104187694

:D

I don't have access to another machine with Linux, but I have Zorin installed on a USB drive.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:12:57 am

Hi,

insert your USB drive and open Gparted, then right click the top right corner drop-down-menu and see if all your drives show up:

-dev-sda - GParted (as superuser)_002.jpg

Is there a little yellowish symbol beside your NTFS partitions?, click on the info button and see if you need to install any more packages such as the following in this warning:

Information about -dev-sda2 (as superuser)_003.jpg

Open Synaptic and search for gparted and right click the package and install any recommended or suggested packages you can find!:

Synaptic Package Manager  (as superuser)_004.jpg

See the partition guide as that might help too!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Let us know if it helps!. :D