This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Newbie Questions

krbmedia

Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:17:46 pm

I'm a newbie to Linux, but I am in IT for Windows and Mac. I'm looking for an OS alternative for all the clients I have with Windows XP machines that are not upgradeable to Windows 7 or higher. Starting to get the hang of it but have some questions:

1) Sometimes when I download a .deb package, I get a message about a newer version available in the SOFTWARE CHANNEL but have no idea where to find that. I've done searched in SOFTWARE CENTER to no avail. An example is the Chrome browser.

2) Wifi continues to be a deal breaker with Linux. I have the following two laptops:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Com ... el/3245649

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP- ... us&lang=en

Both come with Broadcom Wifi and on/off switches for it. I've gone to ADDITIONAL DRIVERS and installed and activated it but still not showing up when I click on the network icon, tried downloading the .deb fil to no available and even tried using the WINDOWS DRIVERS to no avail. What am I missing or doing wrong?

krbmedia

Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:35:16 pm

I have a lot of clients that have Windows XP machines that need to be upgraded, but can't be upgraded to Windows 7 or higher due to their specs. As a windows and mac tech, I would love to help them out with Linux and chose Zorin due to it's supposed more easier way to use Linux but I have two main issues.

1) Wifi continues to be a deal breaker with Linux. I have these two laptops

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP- ... us&lang=en

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Com ... el/3245649

and they come with Broadcom wifi and an ON/OFF switch on the keyboard. I've gone to ADDITIONAL DRIVERS and installed it and activated it but it still won't show up when I click on the network icon. I've instaleld Windwos drivers and the same issue. I have a bad feeling it might be the little ON/OFF switch and is it won't light up. Suggestions?

2) Whenever I download a .deb file from the internet, lets say Chrome from Google's site, when I try to install it it says "there is a newer version on a SOFTWARE CHANNEL but can't find it. Tried SOFTWARE CENTER and seacrehd for chrome to no avail. What am I missing?

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:11:58 pm

Have merged your posts as almost identical.

With regards to WiFi issues, this tends to be an issue with the kernel on which WiFi can be depenedent.

Firstly, can you please update your installed system using a wired connection and following Wolfman's excellent Post Installation guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

and make sure your 'Software Updater' is set to 'Main Server'.

In respect of the WiFi issues, please connect with an ethernet cable to your router and then open 'Synaptic Package Manager' (Menu | Tools | System Administration) and in the small search box near top center/re enter 'ndiswrapper'
and install:

ndiswrapper-source
ndiswrapper-dkms

and see if that helps - if it does not, please wait for madvinegar our resident wifi supremo! :D

With regards to 'Software Channel' that usually does refer to Software Center - be sure to follow the post install guide and settings to 'Main Server' should, hopefully, sort you out.

Oh, and Welcome to Zorin! :D

krbmedia

Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:22:52 am

Didn't work, have a bad feeling it my be that physical ON/OFF switch on them

Wolfman

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:15:05 am

krbmedia

Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:46:32 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

did you click on the network icon in the panel and "Enable wireless"?.

Not seeing that. Where exactly is it?

Wolfman

Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:52:51 am

Hi,

click on the network icon in the bottom right panel, my pic only show "Enable Networking", if you have WiFi, it will say that too! (Enable Wireless):

Selection_003.jpg
Selection_003.jpg (55.7 KiB)

krbmedia

Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:50:26 pm

Doesn't show WIFI

Wolfman

Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:06:36 pm

krbmedia

Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:23:54 pm

Done that. I believe it's the hardware switch. Tried the rfkill commands to no avail

Wolfman

Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:40:21 pm

Hi,

play around with the on/off switch of your wireless LAN on your PC, see if the problem fixes itself or wait for Madvinegar to help you!. :D

krbmedia

Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:48:52 pm

Nothing happens when I hit the wireless switch. It won't activate on