This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New Kernel Borked System

Andrew

Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:44:57 pm

I don't know that anyone else has had any issues like I'm having, but (and I've had to reinstall Zorin OS 9 several times) when the updater comes through with a or the new kernel & image, everything is ok until I reboot, then when everything comes back, it all freezes, lights on my laptop blink....some times I can move the mouse around, some times not. All the same, can't access anything within the OS/desktop, so I have to reboot and same thing happens all over again, until I completely reinstall.....any ideas, suggestions, input, solutions welcome....thank you all in advance..

Andrew :(

Wolfman

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:14:46 pm

Hi Andrew,

what version of Zorin OS are you using and what are your system specs?. :D

Andrew

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:23:15 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi Andrew,

what version of Zorin OS are you using and what are your system specs?. :D

Hey Wolfman,

Zorin OS 9.1 core, and my specs on my laptop are in my signature...

Wolfman

Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:18:23 pm

Hi Andrew,

sorry, I didn't even look at your sig!.

Start in recovery mode and run "DPKG" per the update guide (A NETWORK CABLE CONNECTION IS REQUIRED) and see if that fixes things:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Andrew

Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:53:14 pm

I followed the instructions you left, unfortunately, it's still doing the same thing....I'm downstairs on my other machine typing this.....lights are still blinking on my laptop after the major update.....so don't know what else to do, I'm stuck with a laptop with an OS that is essentially broken after an upgrade that includes that updated kernel and image file.....any suggestions? Thanks in advance

P.S. the kernel btw is the 3.13.0-49.83

Andrew

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:51:08 pm

Something else I noticed as well, when booting into the desktop and this makes any assemblance of behaving itself, I go to click on say, FF to open it, it pauses for a few seconds, then the whole desktop goes blank, leaving only the background picture and being able to see the mouse move around....that's it...

Wolfman

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:54:59 am

Hi Andrew,

the problem with FF is fairly new as I had a problem with it after updating too!. (Bug?)

When you start, go to "Advanced Mode" (2nd option in Grub) and then select another kernel (previous kernels), I think that might do it, once booted, try the following commands in a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Restart and see if it boots normally should anything update!.

If the first set of commands doesn't work, try this:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f

Then restart again!.

If it boots normally, then you should be okay, if not, boot into the advanced mode thingy again and try waiting a few hours and try "DPKG" again!.

IS YOUR SOFTWARE SOURCES DOWNLOAD LOCATION SET TO "MAIN" ?. Change it to something else per the update guide if it is!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:54:28 am

I would be tempted to not install future updates to the system once you know which kernel is stable. I would advise that when you get future notifications that you uncheck the ones relating to kernel and other related package updates.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/106031/h ... owngrading

Hope this helps! ;)