This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Updates?

bushfilm

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:08:35 pm

Lately, it seems like every time I start up my netbook with Zorin 9 Lite on it, a software update message shows up. Most of them are 40-60mb file size. I am wondering why all the updates and should I be downloading them all? Initially, there were very few updates, so I am worried that these are some kind of virus or malware that I shouldn't be adding to my operating system. Any one? Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:05:36 pm

Hi, usually, updates are there for a reason - to keep your system secure! There have also been updates on a regular basis on Ultimate (and I suspect Core) too of late - remember, threats to GNU/Linux are usually dealt with in a very short space of time - a recent exception was the glib.c library which had been a security issue for the past 13 years but never flagged up as such! Embedded systems (where you can't update) will have the biggest security holes. LTS distros were named as potentially vulnerable if glib.c has not been updated since release date - I await to hear from the Devs on that one! ;)

Wolfman

Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:48:34 am