This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

accessiblity

pcalnon

Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:06:57 pm

I'm looking into this distro for a friend who is a Windows user and who is visually impaired.

Does zorin come with Orca installed by default? Has anyone tested / verified the screen magnifier functionality in the "Core" (non-premium) version? I'm concerned because zorin is an Ubuntu based distro, and I've seen a number of complains on the Ubuntu forums about how poor or non-existent support has been in recent releases for users with disabilities.

Any advice? Success stories? Known issues?

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:45:52 pm

Hi pcalnon, and welcome to Zorin! Yes all flavours of Zorin come with accessibility as far as I know. Orca is the 'de facto' screenreader in GNU/Linux - now for the sad part and this is not the fault of Zorin, Ubuntu or any other distro based on Gnome 3 - the fault lies squarely on the shoulders of the Gnome Project who in their 'infinite wisdom' decided to 'integrate' Orca into Gnome instead of a separate app to reduce instances of instability - the downside to this is you cannot edit the backend, i.e., you cannot specify verbosity (character, word, character and word - no exception editor (e.g., Siobhan to be read as Shivorn). The last decent distro that was Orca friendly was Pear OS:

https://vimeo.com/95682732

Compiz does not have any screenreader in it but good for magnification:

https://vimeo.com/57264420

Hope this helps! And hope the Gnome Project pull their finger out - Gnome has always been superior to KDE for accessibility software e.g., KMouth etc.

Orca was written by a visual impaired member of Sun Microsystems (now Oracle) - Goodness knows what the state of Orca is as an independent accessibility software package - I will have to see if I can install it on one of my KDE installs (Netrunner 14) and see if I can access the back end there.

Take care! ;)