This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Lexmark Printer Install

bud22923

Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:48:31 pm

I have a Lexmark 6650 wireless printer it has been set up a long time I use it on windows now I want to install it on Zorin OS 9 when I go into settings and printers I select Network printer and click on find and it is asking for the workgroup password I have never set up a work group password.
So the thing I need help with do I have to set that up?
If I do please tell me how I have to go about doing this or if there is a better way to install the printer driver then going this way to install the driver.

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:14:11 pm

Take a look at this thread on Ubuntu forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1815646&page=2

Keep us posted! ;)

gorin002

Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:19:22 pm

i have a brother 195C in the printers it is t in the list

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:49:08 am

Hi, just because you printer is in the list, the OP's most likely isn't! ;)

Wolfman

Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:21:11 pm

bud22923 wrote:I have a Lexmark 6650 wireless printer it has been set up a long time I use it on windows now I want to install it on Zorin OS 9 when I go into settings and printers I select Network printer and click on find and it is asking for the workgroup password I have never set up a work group password.
So the thing I need help with do I have to set that up?
If I do please tell me how I have to go about doing this or if there is a better way to install the printer driver then going this way to install the driver.

Hi,

go here and punch in the code in the box ("Geben Sie den Sicherheitscode ein:") and then on "Herunterladen" (its in German but its all I could find!). It is for 32 Bit ONLY!, if you have a 64 Bit PC, it will most likely not work!:

http://de.nodevice.com/download/driver/ ... 17463.html

BEAR IN MIND THIS IS AN OLD PACKAGE AND ITS FROM A 3RD PARTY WEBSITE AND MAY CONTAIN MALWARE!!!. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!. :D

bud22923

Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:50:43 pm

Ok I want to try what you wrote to me now the question that I want to know is what drivers should I be downloading for my printer on the lexmark site I go and select Linux and it gives me the Ubuntu drivers and a bunch of other Linux systems here is the web site
http://support.lexmark.com/index?locale ... age=null#3
Let me know what Linux Driver I should download for Zorin OS 9

Wolfman

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:27:26 pm

I would go with Debian 6, they are all old and that is the problem with a Lexmark printer!. :D

bud22923

Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:19:31 pm

Ok when I ran the driver in Terminal this is what cam up.
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing nixstaller..............................................................
Collecting info for this system...
Operating system: linux
CPU Arch: x86
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
TRACKING IDENT = 170209
cpu speed = 1800 MHz
ram size = 1255.22265625 MB
hd avail = 868 MB
I go to put the password in and click ok and that window goes off and nothing is showing on the progress screen it just sits there nothing going on.
I waited for it nothing happens so I have to X out of it.
Let me know what I can do to get this driver to install.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:24:51 am

Hi,

first, you have very little space left on your hard drive according to that printout you posted, its just over 800MB's which isn't a lot!. How big is your root partition?. It should be (imo) around 15 to 20GB's!.

Second, right click the package you downloaded and on "Open with" and select "Gdebi", try that instead of using the terminal!.

If you don't have the package gdebi installed, do so via the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) with the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

bud22923

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:41:46 pm

Ok I installed what you told me.
And when I selected to run this this is what came up.
Lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh' is not a Debian Package
The MIME typ of this file is 'text/x-sh' and can not be installed on this system.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:55:16 pm

Hi,

with the ".sh" on the end of a file means it can be dragged into a terminal and it should auto-run, open your downloads folder and make it half size, open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and drag the file into the terminal and press enter!. :D

There are other more complicated ways of installing it but that is the simplest!. :D

bud22923

Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:20:45 am

Ok I did what you said I dragged it into Terminal and this is what came up in Terminal
bud@bud-M861G:~$ '/home/bud/Downloads/lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh'
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing nixstaller..............................................................
Collecting info for this system...
Operating system: linux
CPU Arch: x86
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
TRACKING IDENT = 170209
cpu speed = 1800 MHz
ram size = 1255.22265625 MB
hd avail = 877 MB

It opened the other window and it still does the same thing with progress just sitting there doing nothing.
As for the hard drive Zorin is running on my other hard drive in my computer I have Windows 7 and Zorin on my computer Zorin is on my other hard drive that I have in the computer.
Do you think it might be the driver I downloaded?
I even went as fare as going into system and clicking on printers and selecting Network printer and it asked for my host address for my printer I typed it in it finds it when I search but it needs the driver but when I go to where I downloaded the driver and select it it gives me a Error.
Anyway give me know more things that I can try.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:53:23 am

I don't have any more for you, the drivers are old and Lexmark support for Linux sucks, write a letter of complaint to them and tell them so!.

Try searching here for an answer as I don't have a Lexmark printer and cannot advise you further:

http://askubuntu.com/

This page; may or may not show as you have to prove you are human (not a joke!):

http://askubuntu.com/search?q=lexmark+p ... 73dfc350be

Sorry I cannot be of more help. :(

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:49:47 am

Hi, please take a look here regarding your overlay scroll-bar dependency issue:

http://blog.khmersite.net/2014/12/gtk-m ... scrollbar/

keep us posted! :D

bud22923

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:09:27 am

Ok let me ask all of you this I looked up a program called Cups for printing on linux it works through the internet have any of you tried using that for getting around this driver problem?
Give me some input on this because I am thinking of downloading that to see if I can get my Lexmark printer to work on Zorin.

bud22923

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:15:31 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, please take a look here regarding your overlay scroll-bar dependency issue:

http://blog.khmersite.net/2014/12/gtk-m ... scrollbar/

keep us posted! :D

I will try that and let you know what happens,

Wolfman

Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:41:04 am

bud22923 wrote:Ok let me ask all of you this I looked up a program called Cups for printing on linux it works through the internet have any of you tried using that for getting around this driver problem?
Give me some input on this because I am thinking of downloading that to see if I can get my Lexmark printer to work on Zorin.

Hi,

cups is normally installed by default in Linux!. Your problem is the lack of support for your printer type (Lexmark).

Did you look here?:

http://askubuntu.com/

bud22923

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:48:31 pm

I am giving up on this printer I have even tried cups and they don't even have it listed just like some of you said Lexmark is not providing very many Linux drivers. So I might look into a Cannon printer I want a printer like I have now that is Wireless and has Fax and Scanning on it. Give me some input if any of you have Canon printers that work good with Linux that are Wireless and have Fax and Scanning on them.
And I will also look on openprining.org
Anyway thanks for helping me out trying to get this printer working.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:22:33 pm

I would go with HP as they just work and have very good support, just plug them in and use the HPLip-Tool:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

Canon might have improved but I had one many moons ago and binned it because it wasn't supported at the time!. :D

Wolfman

Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:40:05 am

I forgot to mention, set-up your printer with a USB cable first, then you can mess around with the WiFi part!. :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:47:42 am

I don't have a Canon multifunction - if I chose any multifunction printer it would have to have more than two ink cartridges - multicolour cartridges are problematical - use one up in the tricolour and you have to buy/install a new ink tank! I prefer 4/5/6 ink cartridge printers/devices - check that out first! :D