This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Theme regression

piratebob

Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:47:09 am

I have a bit of an issue that I am looking for an answer too, I have noticed from time to time when I shut down the system and power it back up at a later time the theme regresses for some windows as well as the desktop icons. I am running Zorin 9 Ultimate and I am a new user to linux in general and I find this issue to be a bit of a nuisance, I have also noticed if I log out and back in again the theme returns to normal appearance. Is it something that I am doing wrong or is this a bug, should I be logging out first before shutting down to prevent this issue or is there a setting that is hanging on boot? :? any answers or recommendations to prevent this issue in the future would be greatly appreciated.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:28:27 am

Please note first of all that the 'How-to' Section is for Tutorials submitted by forum members - any problems you have should be posted in Help and Support. ;)

First question is, have you completed all the post-installation requirements? See topic:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

Once you have done that or if you have done any of the post-install procedures, get back to us.

Thanks. :D

piratebob

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:30:38 pm

Sorry about posting to wrong section, wasn't paying attention. Thanks for the reply. I did run a system update after install but not in the exact same method as discribed by wolfman, to be honest I was not aware of a post install guide and I would like to point out that I have installed the same os on the wife's pc (32 bit version) and it does not experience the occasional theme regression that I am seeing happen on my 64 bit install. Just incase what I mean by theme regression is the desktop icons change in appearance to a traditional gnome look and when I open the home folder the window border decoration remains the same but the window theme, which i chose zorin blue theme, is white and icons in folder are traditional gnome icons. Any ideas?
If need be I can provide screen shots if and when it happens again but I am not sure how to post a screen shot on the forum or in what format and size it would need to be in.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:00:27 am

Somehow you may have got 'check for latest version of Ubuntu' checkmarked in settings? This should be set to 'Never'?

Keep us posted! :D

Wolfman

Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:46:24 am

Hi,

check out the post install guide for themes and AWN:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

piratebob

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:45:08 am

Hey guys, well it happened again this morning and following thru with a quick logout and login the theme was back to normal so what I have done is go into settings and change the way it works. Instead of booting straight to the desktop as I had initially had it set to do I set it to boot to log in screen and then I'll have to login to the desktop, I am going to stick with this for a few days and see how it goes and hopefully this will correct the occasional theme regression that I am seeing occur.
Also I did check the settings for the check for latest version of Ubuntu and it is in fact set to never. I also checked the post install guide for themes and AWN and It doesn't really pertain to the specific issue that I am trying to resolve but thanks wolfman for that it is good info.
Here are the screen shots of what I am seeing
[url]Image
Image[/url]

Wolfman

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:36:42 am

Love the wallpaper!.

Change the theme of the actual AWN panel (not the system theme!), read that section in the post install guide for info, the quick way:

"Right click the panel > Dock Preferences > Themes > Customise and select your settings there. If you want the same colour as your desktop theme, select "Use GTK theme colours":"

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

piratebob

Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:55:29 pm

Well after two days and changing the login settings the theme is stable now and I couldn't be happier, I believe the theme was hanging on login because it was booting straight to the desktop.
As you can see by the screen shots the stock look is working great.8-)

Wolfman

Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:42:16 am

Love the wallpaper!. :D

Have marked as solved!. :D