This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] zorin 6 os problem after ubuntu 14.04 LTS upgrade

zenfrank

Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:35:16 am

I recently upgraded to the latest ubuntu 14.04LTS upgrade from zorin o6 6.

i had loved how i stable and reliable it was and i can usually find solutions online on these forums. When there are updates I select and click updates and my system is working great.

Lately I saw an Ubuntu Tar Upgrade 14.04 LTS and went for the upgrade. I was sorry I ever did it. My right corner button where I can shut down and restart the system is gone. I cant open my chrome browser and i open programs where the app is half the screen. i cant expand it beyond that. There is a docky message where it said docky requires compositing to work properly. certain options are disabled and themes/animations will look incorrect.

upon restart I notice that it now says ubuntu
then advanced options for ubuntu
memory test
memory test

i believe I had zorin options before.
I really dont know what to do. Can anybody help

thanks to all

Wolfman

Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:09:46 am

Hi,

run DPKG (network cable required) per the update guide, check your software sources download location and make sure it is set to "Main":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

zenfrank

Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:19:29 am

thanks Wolfman

I always appreciate your help. Much Gratitude for your kindness. Ill try to do this asap.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:27:20 am

Hi,

you upgraded to a full Ubuntu desktop, I didn't notice that earlier, what you should have done was to download a copy of Zorin 9 (Ubuntu 14.04) core and use the something else method to upgrade, running DPKG most likely won't help you in this case!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

I would do a complete new install if I were you and don't forget to save your files on a disk/USB stick!.

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:06:32 pm

You can still of course use Zorin 6 to April 2017 as it is Long Term Support. You may need to back up your data and do a fresh install then be sure that 'Upgrade to latest version of Ubuntu' is set to 'Never'! ;) :D

zenfrank

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:35:50 am

Thanks Swarfendor437 and Wolfman,

I would be careful next time and keep your advice, hopefully I wont have to do this again in the near future. I ll get the zorin 9 ultimate and convert my 6 ultimate from that.

Thanks again gentlemen, you both are true guardians of the gate.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:04:03 am

Nice one, I will mark this as solved!. :D